End of life - completely confused

florri55

Apr 8, 2016
Suffolk
Hi

My mum who has been in a care home for 2 years and has now been in a semi conscious state for 3 weeks now, she cannot see, hear, move and is mostly unresponsive aside from the odd moment, when she mumbles. Her GP has informed me that she is end of life and has prescribed morphine for pain, although she does not appear to be in any pain. I also thought he told me that food would be withdrawn but fluids would continue. When I visited her yesterday I had a meeting with 2 of the care team leaders and that I had clarified that the doctor did say no food to be given as she has difficulty swallowing and that no medications would be given unless she was in pain.
Tonight I visited Mum and one of the carers told me she had eaten a jacket potato at lunchtime and that they were continuing to give her food. They had also given her fish which she hates and would never have eaten if she was able to make her own decisions but she cannot. I was very shocked and upset and when I asked why I was told if they did not give her food, they would be neglecting her.
I dont understand what is going on and I will be calling her GP first thing in the morning. It would seem to me they are just prolonging the agony of her life and ignoring the doctors instructions. Has anyone come across this before - I am so confused and feel so helpless that I dont seem to have a say in mums end of life care.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I would say that a lot of inexperienced carers haven't seen the slow progress towards the end of life. They will keep following the normal pattern oF care until a member of staff instructs them over wise. I was with Mum and asked what Mum wanted to eat for the next meal. I told them rather abruptly that Mum was not expected to last the next 48 hours. They seemed shocked even though the staff nurses knew the situation. Mum died 3 hours after that conversation about food.

I would be very worried your Mum is at risk of aspiration pneumonia. Please discuss this situation with her Dr and ask that her notes be amended at she is to have drinks and mouth care.

My thoughts are with you.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am so sorry, you are absolutely right to call the GP tomorrow and do ask him for the community palliative care team to visit as well. i would be inclined to give my local hospice a ring and explain the situation to them, they often run a hospice at home service which they extend to care homes and a palliative care nurse will hold you hand through this difficult time. The hospice will usually have a nurse on duty to speak to people so you could pop in if it is near enough to you. It is a truly wonderful service.

I agree about aspiration pneumonia, speak to the manager and tell her she is not to give your mother food and to make sure that the carers don't either, it is doctor's instructions

Let us know how you get on xxx

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Hi

My mum who has been in a care home for 2 years and has now been in a semi conscious state for 3 weeks now, she cannot see, hear, move and is mostly unresponsive aside from the odd moment, when she mumbles. Her GP has informed me that she is end of life and has prescribed morphine for pain, although she does not appear to be in any pain. I also thought he told me that food would be withdrawn but fluids would continue. When I visited her yesterday I had a meeting with 2 of the care team leaders and that I had clarified that the doctor did say no food to be given as she has difficulty swallowing and that no medications would be given unless she was in pain.
Tonight I visited Mum and one of the carers told me she had eaten a jacket potato at lunchtime and that they were continuing to give her food. They had also given her fish which she hates and would never have eaten if she was able to make her own decisions but she cannot. I was very shocked and upset and when I asked why I was told if they did not give her food, they would be neglecting her.
I dont understand what is going on and I will be calling her GP first thing in the morning. It would seem to me they are just prolonging the agony of her life and ignoring the doctors instructions. Has anyone come across this before - I am so confused and feel so helpless that I dont seem to have a say in mums end of life care.

Hi Florri,

How are things?

Red

florri55

Apr 8, 2016
Suffolk
Mum failing now.

Hi Florri,

How are things?

Red

Hi Red

Not so good I am afraid. Mum is barely conscious now and seems to be failing. I have a meeting with her GP on Wednesday to ascertain exactly what his instructions were to the care home. I am up there twice a day and she does not wake, yet they tell me she does wake and takes food when offered. I am not sure what to believe any more - just so confused so I am hoping her GP will clarify.

Thank you for your concern.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Hi Red

Not so good I am afraid. Mum is barely conscious now and seems to be failing. I have a meeting with her GP on Wednesday to ascertain exactly what his instructions were to the care home. I am up there twice a day and she does not wake, yet they tell me she does wake and takes food when offered. I am not sure what to believe any more - just so confused so I am hoping her GP will clarify.

Thank you for your concern.

Hi Florri55,

So sorry to here of your situation. It is such a sad time. My dad is in stage 7 himself and has aspiration pneumonia, just waiting for the next lot of it to occur as he is constantly coughing after foods. I think 2016 is a tough year for sure not sure he will last, he has already been prescribed end of life meds once before, only a matter of time.

I am thinking of you. We have to be strong, somehow.

Red xx

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi Florri, so sorry you have this additional stress at this time. I think you should speak with the doctor and clarify your mum's care. What's important is that your mum is comfortable, and that you are involved in planning her care at this time. My own mum was in hospice at the end, she didn't have dementia, but I know when she was barely conscious, she wasn't eating or offered food. Her comfort was the priority. Wishing you strength at this difficult time. Love G. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C