Email notifications

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Please could someone remind me how to disable email notifications of posts on threads that I've contributed to? They're clogging up my inbox and I hardly ever access posts through the links in the email, I just come onto the site and read from there.

Thank you!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hiya CG,
You go to my profile at the very top, click on 'settings' and it opens your profile.
To the left there is 'List Subscriptions' open that and you can unclick/delete the threads you no longer wish to be subscribed to.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks Gwen, is there no way to do this automatically for all threads, including future threads, or do you have to do it every time you join a new thread?

I said thread far too many times there, lol!

Edit - think I've found it, have altered it, now can't remember how I did it! Hope it works.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You can definitely set it so you don't subscribe to any threads by default - I have it set that way, but you can still add a subscription to a specific thread by going below the posting box and selecting the subscription option.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm willing to bet that Hair Twiddler has got it right: I'm always forgetting to scroll down to the bottom to save changes when I make changes.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-09 at 10.57.47 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-09 at 10.57.47 AM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 379

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Nope, lol, I did save the changes!

Just checked my email inbox, and there are far fewer notifications, so something has worked.

Perhaps I have managed to set a general 'no notifications' instruction now, but have somehow, in the past, indicated on SOME threads, that I do want notifications for those particular threads, so those notifications are still being sent.

I have no idea how I did that, though. Can I go to those individual threads and 'un-tick' something? Perhaps using Gwen's method? I'll give that a try.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you first go into your Profile > Settings you should see a screen something like this

Screen shot 2013-08-09 at 11.15.04 AM.png

I don't have any subscriptions currently but you get the idea. If you click that "View all subscribed threads" you can work from there.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It must be driving you potty.

I'm going to have a play around, but I suspect that you need to manually clear your current subscriptions (I'll have to subscribe to some threads to test this because I don't normally, so I'm not sure of the steps).

I will be back.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Aw thanks Jennifer, much appreciated! Will await the results with baited breath!

PS - I don't know how to manually clear subscriptions so you may have to give me a step-by-step guide!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
OK here we go

When you go to subscriptions you should see something like this (only I guess your list will be longer :D) Oh - and you'll have to scroll across to see the entire image I'm afraid.

pic1.png

To delete all the subscriptions, tick the top notification box like so

pic2.png

If you want to keep some of the subscriptions you can individually untick the box of the subscriptions you want to keep.

Then choose the option at the bottom, Selected Threads and you'll get a dropdown like this.

pic3.png

Choose the Delete Subscription option and then press the Go at the bottom.

At which point you should have deleted your subscriptions.

Hope that helps. Any problems let me know.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you Jennifer, I had over 50 pages of subscriptions! Phew! I've deleted them all, and now that my default is set to no notifications I'm hoping that the problem is solved.

Many thanks for your perseverance on my behalf!

xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi CG
I find this works well for me

If you want to subscribe to some threads to make them easier to find, such as your own threads, but like me dont want any notifications

Look at jennifer's post 15 , tick all the boxes you dont want notifications for , then instead of clicking on delete subscription, click on only through my control panel, you will see this in the list on the last diagramme

and when you subscribe to a thread, ensure you choose this option.
hope this helps,

Last edited: