Ebixa Versus Memantine

Kerry75

Jun 13, 2022
Hey there. I was wondering if someone could help me? My Dad's neurologist has suggested that he changes from taking Memantine (generic) to Ebixa by Lundbeck. I understand they're the same drug, but maybe the formulation method is different and Ebixa is better? We have to buy this on a private prescription, which is fine, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this advice and information too? Thanks ever so much.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Kerry75
A warm welcome to DTP

It seems odd to me to suggest such a change ... but I don't have experience of this drug, my dad took Donepezil

If you are in the UK. I don't understand why your dad is paying for a private prescription ... those with a diagnosis pay so much it seems wrong to pay for meds too

Kerry75

Jun 13, 2022
Hi @Kerry75
A warm welcome to DTP

It seems odd to me to suggest such a change ... but I don't have experience of this drug, my dad took Donepezil

If you are in the UK. I don't understand why your dad is paying for a private prescription ... those with a diagnosis pay so much it seems wrong to pay for meds too
Many thanks for coming back to me. I've been Googling all night and can't find anything about Ebixa versus Memantine. I'll keep searching :)

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Ebixa is memantine! It is one of the brands distributed in the uk. My mum takes Valois which is another brand.
It may be that the neurologist thinks it will suit better but I would be asking exactly why they have come to this conclusion.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has epilepsy and a couple of his anti-epileptic drugs work better for epilepsy if you consistently use the same manufacturer, so its best to use the branded drug if there are problems. This is not true of the vast majority of drugs - OHs anti-epileptics seem to be in a tiny minority and, as far as I am aware, memantine does not come into this category.

Evidence that some anti-epileptics work best for epilepsy if you use a constant manufacturer can be found very easily on reputable sites on the internet, but I couldnt find anything remotely similar about memantine. I would like to know what the neurologist is basing his advice on.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm afraid I was suspicious too, along the lines of @nitram's article.

Big Pharma is very powerful in the US...

I would definitely ask the neurologist to justify the suggestion to change. To be honest, it's very unlikely a person with dementia will respond differently to a different brand of memantine... but the neurologist may get a lavish kickback if he can persuade you to buy the expensive version :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head