Early signs of Dementia?

vigdis

Dec 9, 2021
My Partner suffers with Spinal Stenosis and is often in excruciating pain on a daily basis. It has taken over his life (he's 80 years old).

He drinks quite a lot of alcohol and has done for the last 30 years, but is not an alcoholic.

My concern is that his character and personality is changing. He becomes easily irritated and impatient when once he was quite a calm and reasonable person. He also finds it difficult to focus on what he's doing. More worryingly, he will forget something I've told him only hours previously, and, when certain things are pointed out to him - he will grasp the wrong end of the stick and miss the point that's being made

On the plus side, he's very well versed in world politics - knows the names of obscure leaders in various countries, and is still able to work as a technical consultant for the oil industry, giving vital information for the safe functioning of high pressure equipment, although he's sometimes slow in finding the right words to express himself - but his calculations are always accurate and technically sound.

My question is - should I be worried and talk to his doctor? I know that severe pain can really affect the way a person functions, but I don't want to just put his behaviour down to that and possibly miss some important signs of possible dementia? I know nothing about the disease... I don't expect anyone to diagnose - just a hint as to what I should possibly look out for or what I should do next.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @vigdis
a warm welcome to DTP

you clearly are concerned about your partner, so I'd say write to his GP outlining your concerns and the changes you have noticed ... the GP might not discuss this with you but has to note any information given them ... given the level of pain your partner lives with, maybe you could suggest a review of his meds as a reason to visit the GP

you're right that what you describe may or may not be symptoms of dementia ... some other causes may be stress, depression, vitamin deficiency esp B12 ... so the GP would want to take some tests eg bloods to look into these, if your partner will visit his GP

it's worth keeping a journal, noting behaviours, things your partner is not able to do that he was eg 1, 2,3 years ago, and exactly how much he is drinking ... so you have specifics to pass on to the GP

some of the info on the main AS site might be of interest