early onset - supporting my mum

Harvest1

Nov 20, 2017
Hello,

I have just joined this forum and am looking for some advice on how I can better support my mum and ideas of where she can get some rest. My stepdad was 54 when he was diagnosed and is now 62. He can no longer drive, does not work and relies on my mum on a day to day basis. My mum has effectively become his carer and the relationship they once had has gone. He is a different man- it is so sad to watch and has devastated the whole family. I want to encourage my mum to seek advice and support and wondered if there are any local groups to Aylesbury Bucks, where she can talk to others who have done through the same. Are there any counsellors who deal specifically with those coping with a loved one with 'early onset'
My sister and I both have young kids and it is hard to offer the support and help me would like to offer. She has some friends locally but needs to take up these offers on a more regular basis.

Any advice and help much appreciated.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good evening Harvest1, sorry to read about your stepdad's condition, and your mum's struggle.
Our local carers centre is a great resource, so it might be worth trying https://carers.org/ and typing your town into the search box. I found counselling very helpful earlier this year, my GP referred me, so worth you or your mum explaining the situation and asking for help.
Hope any of that helps.