early morning wandering

Anto

May 8, 2014
Enfield, UK
Hello everyone,

My mum goes out of the house early in the morning, and does not remember to take her handbag, which she normally hides somewhere in her bedroom as she feels it is an important item.

She picks up her keys and walks in the street with only her keys in her hand. The lady in the corner shop, who sells newspapers, has seen her like that. This is dangerous where she lives because of the crime levels.

I need to make mum take her handbag, as all the emergency numbers and mum's address are in the hanbag, or at least walk out with the keys in another handbag, so that they are not directly visible to strangers.

The carers come from 9 am till 1 pm and from 3 pm till 7 pm. I cannot afford to pay for more carers to cover early morning hours.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
You could put emergency numbers on a card in all her pockets. Im not sure that carrying a handbag is any safer than carrying just keys, may even be more conspicuous if someone is likely to snatch it. The lady in the paper shop sounds helpful. Could you give her your number to call if she thinks your mum is in difficulties?

Anto

May 8, 2014
Enfield, UK
You could put emergency numbers on a card in all her pockets. Im not sure that carrying a handbag is any safer than carrying just keys, may even be more conspicuous if someone is likely to snatch it. The lady in the paper shop sounds helpful. Could you give her your number to call if she thinks your mum is in difficulties?

Yes, thank you, it is a good idea to have the numbers everywhere in all pockets, I have to hope she goes out in clothes with pockets... Carrying a handbag makes her look more normal than just clutching keys...

ddurbridge74

May 25, 2014
Hello everyone,

My mum goes out of the house early in the morning, and does not remember to take her handbag, which she normally hides somewhere in her bedroom as she feels it is an important item.

She picks up her keys and walks in the street with only her keys in her hand. The lady in the corner shop, who sells newspapers, has seen her like that. This is dangerous where she lives because of the crime levels.

I need to make mum take her handbag, as all the emergency numbers and mum's address are in the hanbag, or at least walk out with the keys in another handbag, so that they are not directly visible to strangers.

The carers come from 9 am till 1 pm and from 3 pm till 7 pm. I cannot afford to pay for more carers to cover early morning hours.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

there is only 1 solution. your mum needs 24 7 care . i do it 4 my dad . they are a danger to others as well as them selves.i know care is expensive but your mums life is priceless.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
The emergency tags sound a great idea, but it does sound as if you are going to face that mum might be moving into a point where she can no longer be safe on her own. Not an easy thing to accept, but she will become vulnerable on many levels if she is wandering so maybe she will need more care or to be in a place of safety.