Early dementia

Karen 24

Mar 26, 2024
Hi I've just joined the group
I'm very worried about my daughter in law Sarah she is 52 and is suspected to have dementia, it started about 18mths ago and it was said to be brain fog due to menopause, she has declined slowly the last 12mths and is really bad now
She is now under a neurologist 4weeks ago she had a lumbar puncture and we are still waiting the results! I go round every day while my sons at work and I don't think it will be long now till she won't be able to be alone at all
Her problems mostly is that she's unable to do tasks the house is a constant mess that she doesn't seem able to see

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Karen 24 welcome to the Dementia Support Forum but so sorry to hear about your daughter in law, and at such a young age, it must be so worrying for you all. As you mention, there are other things that can cause dementia-type symptoms but I hope that the lumbar puncture results are through soon. You will find lots of friendly support here from people who understand, and there are other sources of support available too if you need it so please post back to let us know how you are getting on.

If you'd like to talk things through with someone, both the Dementia Support Helpline and the Admiral nurses are there to support families through the diagnosis process and beyond. Details here:

Radam

Dec 6, 2023
Hi I've just joined the group
I'm very worried about my daughter in law Sarah she is 52 and is suspected to have dementia, it started about 18mths ago and it was said to be brain fog due to menopause, she has declined slowly the last 12mths and is really bad now
She is now under a neurologist 4weeks ago she had a lumbar puncture and we are still waiting the results! I go round every day while my sons at work and I don't think it will be long now till she won't be able to be alone at all
Her problems mostly is that she's unable to do tasks the house is a constant mess that she doesn't seem able to see
Hi Karen,
My name is Adam and I just turned 53. Like your DIL, my wife who turned 53 last November was diagnosed with EOA a little over a year ago, but I believe it started probably a year before that, but the symptoms were tough to recognize. Over time things just weren't adding up, making sense, and I was questioning her thinking. She lost several jobs and I finally scheduled an appointment for her to get a full blood workup. She too had a lumbar puncture which showed her P-Tau levels were elevated, which is a common sign for Alzheimer's. As you probably know we are in this for the long haul and each day brings new challenges. Sometimes things are great and other times things are tough. Hope some of this is helpful

Karen 24

Mar 26, 2024
Thank you so much your post is very helpful I will look into it, you are the same age as my son so I understand how difficult it is for you! It's a terrible illness and causes so much stress and frustration for everyone
Take care and thanks again

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen676