DWP Information

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Hi, if a person has had a definite diagnoses of dementia submits a claim for attendance allowance is it usual for DWP to send an official to their home to check bank details, pensions and personal?
finances ect

trigger

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Hi, if a person has had a definite diagnoses of dementia submits a claim for attendance allowance is it usual for DWP to send an official to their home to check bank details, pensions and personal?
finances ect trigger
They do provide home visits from time to time.
Some years ago when I was on benefits I had a home visit and was panicking about it thinking this was a bit scary, but all that happened was the chap went through everything I was getting, at the time, and made various suggestions about what would happen in the future if I deteriorated further.
So it was an extremely helpful and useful exercise. All my worries were totally groundless. Obviously that was some time ago so I can't say if it's the same now but my DWP visit was about ensuring I was getting everything I was entitled to and explaining how I may, in future be entitled to claim more rather than less.

That said I don't think you should make light of the problems and it is important always to ensure they are fully aware of the worst case scenarios and that means being brutally honest with them and never understating the care needs. It may help if you keep a diary of time spent on dealing with Night time attendance and incontinence problems. It's so easy to make light of the amount of care required/provided and in these times of benefit reductions understating your needs is not going to be helpful.

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Hi thanks for your replies that has helped me so much and it’s taken a lot of anxiety off my shoulders the DWP are visiting tomorrow for first time fingers crossed it will be ok

Trigger

geum123

May 20, 2009
Is it usual for DWP to send an official to their home to check bank details, pensions and personal?
finances ect

trigger

Trigger don't forget to check the officials details(identity) before revealing any personal details.

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Hi thanks for your replies that has helped me so much and it’s taken a lot of anxiety off my shoulders the DWP are visiting tomorrow for first time fingers crossed it will be ok

Trigger
It would be helpful to others here to report back after the visit. It's possible this is a fishing trip to find reasons why you shouldn't be entitled to your current benefits but the most likely reason it's a compliance officer just checking that you are who you say you are and have bank details/ID to prove it. If you've nothing to hide then I'd try to take advantage of the visit to pick his/her brains.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Do you have a sensible, observant friend who'd you be happy to have attending this meeting with you?

You're likely to find it a fairly stressful meeting (because you'll be talking about distressing matters), however helpful the DWP official is. As with any "official" meeting, it's nice to have a "note-taker" to monitor what's said and how the meeting goes. I would suggest this "note taker" also checks the DWP official's ID and car registration number.

I'm not really paranoid, honest!!

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Hi I won't be here on my own DWP is actually comming to see both me and my wife and our daughter is taking a day off work to be here thany you for your advise I will let you know how it goes tomorrow

Trigger

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
They should not request (and I would not share) financial details when they are coming purely to assess for Attendance Allowance. You are either entitled to it on the basis of disability (and note: you don't actually have to be receiving or paying for the care that the disability implies) or you aren't.

You might want to review (or even print out) the relevant pages from Directgov. Starting here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...itsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_10012438

I have to say, while I've heard of people being asked to attend a medical exam, I have not heard of someone coming to your home. I hope it's simply to ensure that you are receiving all appropriate benefits (in which case I suppose it might be appropriate to share financial information) but if you know you aren't entitled to anything else then you don't need to share.

Please do let us know how this goes. It does appear to be "new" as it relates to AA.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Trigger,

The visit may be from what the DWP calls a Customer Compliance Officer.

It's not uncommon for them to visit people in their own home - for example, if someone has missed sending in a required form, missed an appointment, or if someone else has reported 'something' to the DWP. They also often make entirely random visits to people in receipt of certain benefits - so as to check that benefits are not being claimed fraudulently, or alternatively to carry out a 'benefits review' to make sure that someone is claiming all the benefits they should/could claim. They often call people into the office - but with people in receipt of disability benefits, the visit would take place in the home.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. It may not be in connection with your application for AA at all - it could be purely coincidental. Do post back here once you know more about the visit.

Last edited:

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Trigger,

I used to work for DWP (retired about 5 years ago) and there are all sorts of reasons why you might be getting a visit.

I retired to look after my Mum who had AZ and a lovely lady visited me to check which bank account I wanted the payments to go into , and to ask if I wanted to be an "authorised person" or "appointee" for my Mum. This meant I could write & sign letters on her behalf etc & could also deal with any queries on her behalf. You will probably be asked if you want a family member to help you.
At the same time my Mum was assessed to see if she qualified for extra payments via Pension Credit - & yes she did ! (Sorry if you're under Pension Age- difficult to tell from your post )
The Pension Service have a huge team of people whose sole job it is to ensure that people are claiming all the benefits to which they are entitled.

Don't worry at all. Hope the visit goes well & you have some lovely news for us tomorrow.

Best regards
Germain

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
They do provide home visits from time to time.
--------- It may help if you keep a diary of time spent on dealing with Night time attendance and incontinence problems. It's so easy to make light of the amount of care required/provided and in these times of benefit reductions understating your needs is not going to be helpful.

Hello trigger
Members have already given good advice about the DWP visit
but I think the advice given in the above quote is very important
When I first applied for AA for my wife I made the mistake of playing down matters such as incontinence etc , and we were originaly given the reduced allowance.
A friend advised me to keep a diary, with particular reference to the problems occuring at night time and to re-apply
I did this , made sure I noted the frequency and problems associated and was then reassesed at the higher rate
jimbo 111

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
a lovely lady visited me to check which bank account I wanted the payments to go into , and to ask if I wanted to be an "authorised person" or "appointee" for my Mum. This meant I could write & sign letters on her behalf etc & could also deal with any queries on her behalf. You will probably be asked if you want a family member to help you.
At the same time my Mum was assessed to see if she qualified for extra payments via Pension Credit - & yes she did ! (Sorry if you're under Pension Age- difficult to tell from your post )
The Pension Service have a huge team of people whose sole job it is to ensure that people are claiming all the benefits to which they are entitled.

This is exactly what happened with my husband and the lady was so helpful and made a follow up call later to make sure I had all the help I needed. She did ask to see passport and birth certificates to verify we were who we said we were.