DVLA and mun

Trmaskell

May 13, 2016
North Yorkshire
Hi
Latest update about my sister, 3 doctors, the dvla and now, after getting her an assessment, the assessor has failed her for her driving.
After all this she is still saying she is capable of driving. She says she will find another assement centre, take another test, not doing the things they pulled her up on, so therefore will be able to drive.
I have tried so hard to keep my patience but I feel like I am drowning in quicksand. The fact she lives so far away and how difficult it is to keep tabs on her it is really all consuming.
I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks tonight and have made arrangements for other family to look after her as best they can.
It's not going to be easy though

Hill Man

Apr 10, 2016
Mid Wales
I have to say I was unimpressed by the system. I had hoped that the GP or Consultant would inform the DVLA but all they did was send my Dad a letter saying that he should inform the DVLA of his AD diagnosis. After he had hit another cars wing mirror, the gatepost x2 and the inside of the garage I informed the DVLA that I felt he was unsafe to drive. However all they did was send him a questionnaire asking how he felt. He wrote back saying he was fine and that he also flew airplanes! (Not true fortunately) Eventually I disabled his car and told him that the replacement part was very hard to find. After 6 months he booked an appointment at a local garage to buy a new car - luckily I was able to phone them before he arrived and they were totally lovely showing him around but explaining nothing was currently available. Eventually I removed the car and told him it had been stolen - which probably is literally true - I have no idea how I stand there. Two years on he still talks about getting a new car once "the insurance has been sorted" Overall though I felt pretty much left on my own.

Trmaskell

May 13, 2016
North Yorkshire
Hi
Latest update about my sister, 3 doctors, the dvla and now, after getting her an assessment, the assessor has failed her for her driving.
After all this she is still saying she is capable of driving. She says she will find another assement centre, take another test, not doing the things they pulled her up on, so therefore will be able to drive.
I have tried so hard to keep my patience but I feel like I am drowning in quicksand. The fact she lives so far away and how difficult it is to keep tabs on her it is really all consuming.
I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks tonight and have made arrangements for other family to look after her as best they can.
It's not going to be easy though

Latest, I need help or advice. My sister wants to keep her car, the value of it is about £5,500, she has just bought a funeral plan for about £4,000. I am trying to say to her sell the car and you can pay off the funeral plan but, as we all know, it's very difficult to make her understand this makes financial sense. She is still convinced she will be able to drive in the future. Has anyone else dealt with a problem similar?
Thanks
Terry

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Can you tell her the manufacturer is going to stop making the parts for it so it will be worthless in 3 months. Tell if she sells it now she will get to keep the money rather than the scrapman.

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
Sympathy!

2 1/2 years ago on a routine Dr's appointment (I always went with my husband because he never understood what was being said!) the nurse practicioner suggested my husband of 81yrs (I'm 13 yrs younger) had a memory test, which he failed and was told to stop driving until it was investigated further. It came as a total shock to him and I must admit I was a bit surprised at the suddeness of it, although I was very grateful as his driving worried me. After some time we saw the consultant at the memory clinic who did some further tests and she told him he couldnt drive anymore and he had to notify the DVLA. He was absolutely furious and argued with her - she continued making notes of his reaction. Her reply was that he could take a driving assessment and gave us the details.
we made the appointment (£90) which was 4 months away. We had several replies from the DVLA, one of which authorised him to take an assessment which would be paid for by them, again several months away. During this time he was just about impossible to live with, ranting and raving to all and sundry about it
We attended the assessment centre and I was expected to sit in on the verbal and physical examination - which was range of movements and various exercises all of which I could see werent going very well.
They decided he could have a test drive. He hadnt driven for a year, thats how long it took, and it was in an unknown vehicle. when they (2 assessors and him) returned, I was called in again where he was told he was no longer able to drive. He had failed everything miserably. I did feel sorry for him as it had all come out of the blue, but I was also relieved because I had known there was a problem.
It took nearly another year before he stopped ranting, in fact, in the early days, if I'd still had our motorhome I would have packed up me and the dogs and left, it was that bad. Even now he still has a moan if the subject is mentioned. All I can say is just hang on in there, it will get easier

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
Biggest Problem at present

I haven't posted for a couple of months. Finally got a diagnosis and CT scan. GP said DVLA had to be notified and I managed to gain OH consent to doing this and posted it quickly. DVLA as others have said unceremoniously revoked licence immediately it appears without consulting GP or any assessment. Much as I agree he shouldn't drive even I was disappointed that they didn't assess him at all. He had been a HGV and PSV driver all his working life. However as previous posts have said once licence is revoked you need doctors support to ask DVLA to issue a Provisional Disability Assessment Licence for one day for the Mobility Centre to assess them. We had the consent and advised DVLA but they have responded that they can't proceed until doctor confirms to them. At present OH has an appointment on 31st Aug to demand his licence back from GP and I have refused to go in with him as I am tired of being accused of taking licence, colluding with GP to take licence and even having an affair with GP to get licence taken!
All this could be saved by a little more thought and consideration from DVLA in dealing with those who do abide by the rules and admit condition. No wonder there are so many drivers who, really shouldn't be on the road, scared that to admit a problem takes licence away.
Sorry I can't offer more hope. I keep hoping he will forget about it, as it is the biggest argument cause at present