Drugs being developed to tackle CJD could also help prevent Alzheimer's

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
Not sure where to put this but it is very recent news here is the link:

http://www.prion.ucl.ac.uk/press-media/press-releases/alzheimers/

This confirms what I have often thought that Alzheimers disease is closely associated with CJD, what is puzzling however, is that vCJD is transmissable via several routes but Alzheimers is supposedly not.
I thought this link would be very useful for those people who have never heard of the NHS National Prion Clinic in London, the website has so much information on prion diseases and the symptons.

Last edited:

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
Prion Clinic developing new drug which could help Alzheimers disease

The National Prion Clinic at the National Hospital for Neurology has put out on their website crucial information for anyone interested in the latest developments for a drug to help people with Alzheimers disease

The study has been published in 'Nature Communications' very interesting links between alzheimers and CJD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks Bodensee

I never knew there was a Prion Clinic! x

Well nor did I but that's because GP's/ Consultants dont tell you about it!

I'm afarid in this day and age you have to do your own research.

I feel it is important to note that this latest development is to do with Alzheimers disease and anyone who wants to make enquiries about this development with the NHS Prion Clinic can do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
I thought this quote by Sir John Collinge on the prion.ucl.ac.uk website would give people more of an insight into the work that is going on to find a new drug for alzheimers disease:

"With an ageing population and increasing number of families affected by Alzheimer's disease, there is an urgent need for new drugs which will help to preserve brain function and prevent memory loss, the sympton which most characterises the devastating impact of Alzheimer's. We're thrilled that this discovery shows in mice that these two antibodies, which we are developing to treat 'CJD', may also have a role in treating more common forms of dementia like Alzheimer's disease. If these antibody drugs prove to be safe in use to treat CJD we will consider whether studies in Alzheimer's disease should be carried out"

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
There is hope

The more I read about this devastating disease and how it has affected so many people including my dear mother the more hopeful I am that they are not far off from finding the answers to why so many of us are afflicted. I applaude the work being carried out by Medical Research Council at University College London in it's a latest research to find a new drug to combat Alzheimer's disease. I want everyone who has a parent/relative with Alzheimer's disease to know about this vital work being undertaken, its all on the prion.ucl.ac.uk website.