Driving

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
The example you gave was one where there was a medical condition which needed to be reported and had been misdiagnosed - not one where the person had been diagnosed with a medical condition when they had none.

There is a world of difference.

In all the years I have been on TP I have always tried not to be pedantic, so please forgive me if I now appear to be so (I do consider myself to be reasonably intelligent
( though perhaps not the wisest on English grammar )

Perhaps members more intelligent than I can explain the ‘world of difference’ between

“ medical condition which needed to be reported and had been misdiagnosed - not one where the person had been diagnosed with a medical condition when they had none”

If a person had been reported as having a medical condition and it turned out he had none , surely he had been misdiagnosed ???????

I rather think I am trying to explain my own confusion here
Jimbo 111

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Hi jimbo111 your correct its not about choice of words , if a person is told by a GP they have dementia he also tells them they must by law notify DVLA , ok the person does that then after six to eight months the GP says all dementia tests are complete I'm pleased to tell you it’s not Alzheimer’s in fact something unrelated to dementia, ok WHY is it then so difficult to get the DVLA to accept that you haven got dementia and restore all the driving categories back previously listed on the licence, remember it's the GP who got this wrong in the first instance why should the patent suffer , don’t tell dvla stright away wait until your certain you have dementia

Tatra Man

Oct 18, 2012
South Bucks.
I'm not sure how much more simply I can put it, Jimbo.

In the example quoted, the misdiagnosis is of one condition as another, not the misdiagnosis of a condition where there is none.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I'm not sure how much more simply I can put it, Jimbo.

In the example quoted, the misdiagnosis is of one condition as another, not the misdiagnosis of a condition where there is none.

Hello Tatra Man

I thank you for your response to my post .
It is a long while since I have been referred to as a ‘simpleton ( though I accept it was tactfully worded)
That’s what comes with old age and the misconception that you are wise.

I don’t think it is a good practice to highjack another members thread to
make a point that is not connected to the original question so I bow .without rancour , to your higher intellect and understanding on the semantics of the English
language
I post regularly on TP so no doubt we shall read each others posts with interest in the future
Best wishes
jimbo 111

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
You can arrange an assessment yourself.

It is possible to arrange a driving assessment yourself.

I agree that some people are dangerous.

The point I am making is that it is all too easy to be labelled without cause!

My husband does not have dementia. He forgets things, as most of us do once we pass 60. That is all. We were being over cautious and should not have mentioned it, either to the doctor or to the DVLA.

Honestly you could make a Newsnight documentary about non-diagnosed people being labelled wrongly. There really is a lot of stigma about isn't there?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Brenda230 Your spot on with your comments unfortunately dementia has such a stigma about it these days that a person with dementia couldn’t possibly live a normal life including driving a car ( YES obviously WE can )

Brenda230 I will keep you informed as agreed Merry Christmas

Tony

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Simples

Hi jimbo111 your correct its not about choice of words , if a person is told by a GP they have dementia he also tells them they must by law notify DVLA , ok the person does that then after six to eight months the GP says all dementia tests are complete I'm pleased to tell you it’s not Alzheimer’s in fact something unrelated to dementia, ok WHY is it then so difficult to get the DVLA to accept that you haven got dementia and restore all the driving categories back previously listed on the licence, remember it's the GP who got this wrong in the first instance why should the patent suffer , don’t tell dvla stright away wait until your certain you have dementia

It's difficult because there is so much STIGMA about dementia. Once you have flagged up a problem you simply cannot get the genie back in the bottle. Most people forget things sometimes, but if you report this you will be stigmatised for ever.

It's related to getting older I guess. If your hair is grey, younger people will speak to you as though you are a bit simple.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Brenda 230 yes your correct life can get very difficult once the word Dementia is put on your medical records or CV the Stigma has built up so much by the media and this can do a lot of harm to those with dementia trying to live normal lives, so much so I think a lot of people will start to reject any tests offered by their GP’s because of the stigma

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
The danger of stigma

Hi Brenda 230, *** I think a lot of people will start to reject any tests offered by their GP’s because of the stigma

Yes I agree. That is a very real danger. People will not come forward and will not benefit from new treatments that can hold it at bay.

Not only that, it can be very difficult to diagnose. Older people do forget things, mainly because they no longer need to remember once they retire from work.

I can only imagine that the carers on here must have relatives who were late diagnosed and have gone downhill immediately??

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Brenda230 Unfortunately to much media / TV coverage now and its not necessarily helping the person with dementia who wants a normal life, people with other illness don’t seem to get the negative coverage dementia does

hawlks

Jan 16, 2013
tyne and wear
My husband has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and is worried that he will have to stop driving. Is this the case as he seems quite capable at the moment apart from being impatient with other drivers.
maybe?my sister lost her licence because of her
medication which makes her drousy sometimes, she wasnt able to get insured!.
she now has to use public transport.

acacia

Jan 15, 2013
maybe?my sister lost her licence because of her
medication which makes her drousy sometimes, she wasnt able to get insured!.
she now has to use public transport.

My husband hasn't been diagnosed yet, but has all the signs. At the moment his highlight of the day is going down to the pub for his nightly 1 pint. We live just eight minutes from our local bar. We live on a very quiet urbanisation in Spain he drives down every night as he couldn't walk that far, so as long as he can I am not going to stop him.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
I persuaded my mother to stop driving since she had become disorientated on at least occasions and had a problem driving home. I put it to her that she wouldn't want to injure anybody and she agreed.

The main reason for persuading her to stop driving was that her insurance was due for renewal and since she had been referred by her GP to the memory clinic this information would have had to have been disclosed to the insurance company - I doubt whether she would have been able to get car insurance.

It seems that many people don't seem to worry about their car insurance being invalidated for non-disclosure and are prepared to run the risk of being sued by someone who is injured or worse.

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
information would have had to have been disclosed to the insurance company - I doubt whether she would have been able to get car insurance.

It seems that many people don't seem to worry about their car insurance being invalidated for non-disclosure and are prepared to run the risk of being sued by someone who is injured or worse.

We informed DVLA/insurance when hubby was diagnosed 2 yrs ago. He had a period of 6 months wherein he was not driving whilst waiting for assessment. Once he was approved to drive again DVLA issued him with a 12 month licence. We were told under Disability laws that insurance companies are not allowed to increase premiums. Perhaps others here can clarify further.

Our insurance have been great, never bothered us. Premiums did not increase but they naturally ask to be informed of any change in circs.

The only diference is his licence itself. It now states only valid for 12 months.

x x