Drinking and eating

Clarey73

Nov 28, 2022
Hi. My Mum has recently been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia; Vascular and Alzheimer’s.
It has been the case one and off for a year or so that we seem to be struggling to get my Mum to eat and drink sufficiently…….to the point where the district nurse can not get enough blood from her for a blood test that the GP requested……DN told her she’d be back in hospital if she doesn’t drink more.
She eats very little which is also a concern as we are trying to keep her mobile (mobility is very poor) and her strength.

Does anyone find this kind of thing an issue with their loved ones who have Alzheimer’s?
Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Clarey73.

I think issues with eating and drinking are very common in people who have dementia.

You might find this information helpful -

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Does your Mum live alone? If so, are you able to try sitting down with her and eating with her.
We struggled to get MIL to eat and drink enough when she was at home on her own. On the odd occasion we took her out for a meal she would demolish a full roast dinner!! The situation has only been resolved now that she is in a care home where everyone eats together.
As already mentioned, it is a common problem.

Vincebeer

May 13, 2022
Yes it appears they just forget . Making the food appear appetising & colourful helps .
Also leaving tasty small bites around .
Being a recent carer — I am learning .
More difficult seems getting them to exercise ..Or can one say use it or loose it , or can one explain — keep moving or just become a vegetable ...?

Ge

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl