Dr has removed a DNR

k8tjane

May 7, 2024
Does any advice please? Mum has had a DNR in place since 2021 when she was in hospital with COVID, she was in the early stages of dementia at this point and she made the DNR decision. Mum has been in a care home since May last year due to rapid progression of dementia and I suppose is in the middle/later stages now. She is very confused most days (no idea of time/place) but knows who me and my siblings are, though she often thinks of us as our younger versions (if that makes sense, doesn't remember we have children are married etc). She is 92 and frail.

She has been visited by the Dr today for a review due to being in care for a year and as part of this review they have discussed her DNR. The care home have contacted us to say that this has been removed at mums request. Apparently she understood everything the Dr told her about the DNR and the implications of this and decided that she would now like to be resuscitated in the event of a 'medical emergency'. We are surprised that this was even discussed with her at this stage of her dementia and also that she has the ability to understand what the Dr was saying/what the implications are. Is this usual?

We have health and finance power of attorney and know that if any decisions needed to be made regarding long-term care (e.g. surgery, treatment etc) that we would be involved in those decisions and could consider these within the context of her quality of life etc at the time. But if mum was to have a heart attack, without a DNR she would potentially be subjected to what is a brutal and often futile procedure (CPR) and this could end up with her having a painful death. We are not sure what to do?

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
I would be tempted to ask a few questions. GP : what gave him the impression she had capacity to make such a decision (especially as it goes against her previous wishes which were made when she wasn't so bad). The care home : was one of the staff present when the GP spoke to her? Do they think she has capacity for this decision? Also, to both parties : as you have LPA for her why weren't you asked to be present for this meeting/decision making? etc.
I have LPA for my mum and when the care home's GP wanted to talk about wishes for her future care we made an appointment for the GP, myself and the senior carer to be present to come to an agreement.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @k8tjane and welcome to the Forum. From your description - and my experience with my wife - I am rather surprised to hear that it was considered that your mum has capacity to understand relatively complex information and to make a rational decision. That would be in relation to anything, never mind something as important as DNR. I am also concerned that as her Attorney you were not consulted. If you consider that a DNR would be in your mum's best interests (as it would seem) then you should make this clear to the care home and GP. It should be recorded in her emergency care plan held by the care home. Best of luck in getting it reinstated.