Don't want to visit anymore

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi, I've been to visit my mum today for the first time since Christmas. I had the dreaded flu lurgy and then there was the norovirus at the CH. Anyway, I've seen a downturn in mum.

She walked up and down the corridors all the time, didn't speak to me, had no idea that I was there to visit her. Her eyes were completely blank. I stood around in the hall for a while talking to the carer then I came home.

I don't want to go anymore! This isn't my mum.

R

ChrissieFW

Mar 2, 2013
Wells Somerset
How dreadfully sad for you Resigned! I know it's a bit of a cliche but sometimes it is harder for the loved ones, as your mum obviously doesn't know what's going on. Hang in there. Cx

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I know that feeling so well. My father and I used to visit my mother and she wouldn't have cared who we spoke to. we used to walk up to her chair and put out our hands. She would come with us to different chairs, but would not have worried if we asked the person next to her.

I remember sitting holding her hand with tears pouring down, and she never blinked!!.

My father used to take ice cream and small sandwiches and fed her. He even took a flask of tea. just for something to do with her as she did not talk for the last 2 years.

It is soul destroying and my heart goes out to you. My misery ended in 1976 when my mother died, but you are in the midst of yours.

Jeannette

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Resigned,

I was so sorry to read this. There are certain signposts along the dementia route that none of us ever want to encounter..... incontinence, roaming about and getting lost, sundowning and getting up at night, and having our loved one not know us..... they are the dreaded moments.

I haven't got any good advice really. You point out that you haven't seen her since Christmas, quite a stint if someone is declining. So you are confronted with quite a marked decline from last time, and this really hits home, I can imagine.

Based on my own experience, and Mum still lives with us, so I see her lots of the day every day. I still notice how my mind slips into denial each time I see a step backwards, or I try to fight it by being impatient. Not very adult of me, is it? Either denial or aggression as my stock in trade defence to downhill steps. However, after a very brief time, or sometimes a few days, I recalibrate and adapt to the new descent. The denial and aggression melt away and I can once again accept things as they are.

What would I do? In your shoes (which I clearly am not), I would keep reminding myself that I visit my mother to keep tabs on her, to reassure myself that she is in good hands and being looked after well. My husband (the wiser of the two of us) would say "Have no expectations". And he is right, it is our expectations being unmet and seeing a different reality to what we expected that is so gutting. I know that if the roles were reversed, and I didn't recognise my mother, she would still be there for me, checking on me, telling me she loves me...... and when I prepare my mental arguments well, rehearse them, I find I can deal much better - so I kind of listen to my own mental script, and then what I see doesn't cut me so to the quick that my defenses are down and ineffective.

I am a great believer in moral competence. If necessary I would visit my Mum even in grim conditions because I would see this as my responsibility. If I don't do it who will? And perhaps I would try to bring someone with me, just not to be on my own in such a harrowing moment as seeing my mum not knowing me. Then I could talk it through with someone on the way home.

None of this is very useful I am afraid. But I do sometimes think about when Mum will be at this stage - we are currently crossing the muddy waters of incontinence - and I know this is one of the nastier parts of this awful disease.

By the way, it looks as if your Mum wasn't too upset (at not really taking you on board), and I think this is just about the only blessing of this disease. Often they don't suffer their losses as we do as we look on. For that I give thanks. Rather me suffer than her.

It is a very sad time for you, and perhaps the hardest thing for a partner or offspring to cope with. Yet you went and visited. Well done you. Wishing you easier times ahead, BE

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This must be so awful for you.

The only thing I'd say that as it has been, for unavoidable reasons, a very long time since your mum has seen you, it's possible that if you now resume regular she may become at least on occasions more aware of you again.

We all have to be resigned to an extent, I feel, to do the things that are necessary. But it also helps a little bit to keep a glimmer of hope alive, doesn't it?

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
I am sorry to hear you have been ill since Christmas and there has been health probelms at the care home where your mum is. My MIL has been visiting my FIL in a care home for 12 years plus. He has not known her for I recon about 6 - 8 of those years but she still goes - her way of caring I suppose.

I know it is hard to see your mum like this, but I do feel it important to keep contact even for short periods at least that way you can check she is being well looked after (Just my opinion). There are so many pour souls who have no one.

Best wishes xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Resigned.

There is nothing set in stone to decree what you should or should not do. All I suggest is you try if possible to ensure you`ll be left with no regrets.

Just thinking

May 7, 2008
North west
Sometimes I'm the same

I agree with all the above particularly about not having regrets at some time in the future. Nothing worse than everlasting, could of, would of, should have.
Perhaps going half as much as you did before just so you can check that all is well and the care is how you would want it to be. Visits can be as short or as long as you feel happiest with and atleast you'll have some peace of mind.
I haven't quite got to this stage yet but I know how you feel as it drawing ever closer with Mum and although I know she doesn't 'miss me' anymore, I miss her.....but I feel better even if I only go for 10 minutes.
Aw, good luck. :eek: BIG hugs :)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Resigned,

I can understand how you are feeling but equally it is hard for a caring person to walk away too. Can I suggest that you speak to the care home manager about what is the best way to deal with this from your mum's point of view. It could be perhaps that your mum might be a bit more lucid in the mornings and that a short visit at the weekend might be better. Even if you both decide there is little benefit to your mum in visiting regularly, maybe you could send her a pretty card each week or a little notelet with some news in it. This gives the carers something to share with your mum and sometimes you find that these little keepsakes are more precious to the person than an actual visit.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you are comfortable with it as the last thing you want is a lifetime of guilt and regrets.

Fiona

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Thank you everybody for taking the time to reply. Sensible and wise advice was just what I needed. I just felt a bit low when I came away from the CH.

I suppose it was the fact that she just kept walking away from me that made it seem so much worse than usual.

One of the residents I was used to talking to has also died very unexpectedly since I was there, she was younger than my mum and seemed very 'together' if you know what I mean. She hadn't been in the CH as long as my mum. A very well-mannered and elegant lady, I couldn't believe she'd gone.

Thank you, Fiona, a card is a good idea. I send her a card two weeks ago for her 88th birthday and although almost all her possessions are now missing, she still has the card in her room. More cards and notes are well worth sending.

I always talk to the carers each visit to find out what's been going on with mum. Now that there's no reason to sit in the lounge on my own, I did have a longer chat yesterday and it was quite reassuring.

Thanks again, everyone, for lifting my mood.

R

hectoress

Apr 8, 2012
Hi Resigned

I too do not want to visit my OH anymore. When I go he fixates on me and gets very upset and angry that I can't make everything ok even though he has no idea what he wants me to do. The last vist I had to peg it down the corridor before he got really wound up. After I left he was very confused, unhappy and aggressive. Nurses asked me not to visit for a few days so he could calm down - which he did and I asked his son to visit and OH was quite chilled out and did not mention me at all. I want to keep him as untroubled as I can so have decided to stay away just to see if he is happier overall without me upsetting him. It may be that I just don't go at all - I don't want to be the cause of anything. Devil and the deep deep blue comes to mind. Damed if I do and !!!!!!!! if I don't.

Best wishes to you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey