Don't really know how things will pan out..

j_mcdougall

Mar 11, 2012
London
Hi everyone,

New to this board but need some advice and thought this would be the best place to come, my Gran who is almost like a mother to me is 76. She had, for two years, been suffering from memory loss and different things which was (by me) put down to old age. I probably wanted that to be the case as I didn't want to fear the worse.

Anyway, I recently took her to the doctor for the MMSE test where I was present, her score was 19/30 and it was heart wrenching to hear her not know the year etc.

We are now going for a CAT scan in 4 weeks, the Doctor said depending on that, there may be some trial drug that she can be prescribed, I forget the name of the drug but it has varying results.

I'm unsure on what to do here as the doctor has said that result would typically be a 85+ yr old score. I've recently had the power of attorney signed and filed though that was hard enough as she has always been the sharp one and it's difficult to watch someone disappear.

Does anyone know what I should expect in the next few weeks at this scan (I've read it's easy to see deteriorating brain cells from the scan, I guess I just don't know where to turn.

Thanks in advance.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi there and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to hear about your Gran. It is very hard to see someone you love finding life tough.

I don't know much about the CAT scan, but my husband had an mri scan which showed areas of the brain that had deteriorated. Whilst we found this distressing, we also new we had to be positive and enjoy life as much as we could.

People's conditions develop in diefferent ways, so there is no defined answer as to how gran's condition will progress. However, there is nothing you can do to stop it, so enjoy your time with Gran.

I'm not sure about the new medication, it could be Memenatine (Ebixir).

I'm sure others will come along with more advice.
Keep posting!
Jan x

j_mcdougall

Mar 11, 2012
London
Thank you Jan, it may be that I have been mixed up and it's an MRI scan.

I also think you might be correct with that medication, it rings a bell, I'm sorry to hear about your husband and thank you for your kind words.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Hi and welcome to TP

Your grans experience sounds very similar to my mums.

Low MMSE score, obvious verbal signs of dementia, went for scan and as a result we were given a really thorough diagnosis and explanation of exactly what was going on.

Think we had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the results of the scan (if MY memory serves me well).

Mum then placed on EBIXA (memantine) i.e. TRADE NAME (drug name)

It is never easy to sit and hear the results of a scan, however, we then came straight onto TP, shared our experience and the rest is history. So have found TP to be something of our saviour.

j_mcdougall

Mar 11, 2012
London
Hi and welcome to TP

Your grans experience sounds very similar to my mums.

Low MMSE score, obvious verbal signs of dementia, went for scan and as a result we were given a really thorough diagnosis and explanation of exactly what was going on.

Think we had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for the results of the scan (if MY memory serves me well).

Mum then placed on EBIXA (memantine) i.e. TRADE NAME (drug name)

It is never easy to sit and hear the results of a scan, however, we then came straight onto TP, shared our experience and the rest is history. So have found TP to be something of our saviour.

So we got the call from the Doctor (well I called them actually) and we have to wait until June for the results, I mean, seriously that's over two months.

I'm going to see if I can have her registered under my private care, it won't make the result any better but I'm just stunned at the lack of response to get her results read out.

odyssey

Apr 25, 2012
Wales
Results reporting delay

I'm guessing you may have had the result by now????

I have learnt the hard way that you have to fight for everything when it comes to demenia care.

As a seasoned Health Care Professional I have been appauled by standards within my own organistaion - to the point that I have spoken with the CEO.

Do not accept the delay - CT scans are reported within 24hours - the result will already be available to the GP via the electronic results reporting IT package - do not wait 2 months for an out patient review.

Do not be afraid to advocate very loudly and proudly on behalf of your relative.