Donepezil & Alcohol

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
Many thanks for all your useful comments in my previous posting. I would appreciate any views about taking this drug and drinking alcohol, i.e just a glass or two wine occasionally. I know that all leaflets with drugs say do not take alcohol at the same time as does this one, but do you know if this would have a detrimental effect.

Many thanks

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It's best to avoid it completely if you can. It's my understanding that the combination can reduce the effectiveness of the drug and also result in a sedating effect.

That said, probably the occasional glass isn't going to do any great harm - so long as it;'s not used to wash the tablet down, anyway!

I'd ask the pharmacist but they'll probably just quote the guidance that comes in the leaflet - it;s better to avoid alcohol completely.

There are such things as alcohol-free wines.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
When my husband was prescribed Aricept (aka Donepezil) we specifically asked the consultant about whether he could have alcohol too and she said it would be ok, within moderation.

Hubby does not drink to excess. We share a bottle of wine when we go out for a family meal (approx 4 times per year) - then he'll have two or three units on special occasions such as Christmas/New Year or our annual family BBQ. Other than that he'll just have the occasional drink at home a couple of times per month - usually when we are watching a film.

If ever he reaches a stage where he starts to lose track of how much he has had to drink and it becomes a problem, I would just switch to the alcohol free brands as already mentioned or water down the normal ones and hope he doesn't notice :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
middledaughteruk