Don’t know whether to throw things or sit down and howl

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
OH is at end of life stage. Was very ill last week and I was told to start preparing myself. Then he rallied and gave us all hope that it wasn’t going to happen yet. But now he’s taken a turn for the worse again. It’s such a roller coaster my emotions are all over the place. I can’t believe that he won’t rally again but others aren’t so sure. How does one decide when it’s time to stop the antibiotics and let them go. I don’t think I am strong enough to make that decision. I’m only just getting used to the fact that I had to let him go into a home. I’m not ready to let go completely but is it fair to him?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Is anything about this disease fair? To anyone...

I suppose the only way to look at the situation is to think back to when your OH was well. If he could look at his present day 'self' what would he have said? What would he have wanted?

That is the only answer I can think of, sorry

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))) @Jean1234
It can be a terrible roller coaster. I was told 3 times that the end for mum was imminent and then she bounced back. The last time, of course, she didnt, but I was never really sure that it was, in fact the end. It seems to happen with dementia more often than you would expect.

I found this booklet from a hospice recently and thought it looked helpful.
http://www.hospicepeterborough.org/...5/Web-version-The-Last-Hours-of-Life-2010.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77