Dominoes

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My Mum has always enjoyed playing Scrabble and other word games, but until she gets her new glasses, is finding it hard to see the letters properly and also to concentrate on the rules of the game. I've tried one or two other games, but her poor eyesight is a problem.
Someone suggested playing Dominoes and this was a great success today. The rules are very simple and the white dots on a black background are easy to distinguish. I had to laugh though, when Mum said, "Oh dear, I've got a nude domino here!" It was actually the double blank. Has anyone else got suggestions for card or board games which are east to play?:D

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
dad became a bit of a snakes and ladders champion when he first went into nursing home. it seemed to help a bit with co-ordination - shaking the dice, and also got him counting a bit. i did help him quite a lot with it before we had to give it up all together. but he still enjoyed it, and i think gave him some happy memories of playing it with me when i was a kid

the other game i thought of getting - but never got that far - was the junior scrabble. i can't remember all the details now ...... but i had one when i was a kid. it's sort of like adult scrabble but some of the letters/words are already marked on the board and you just have to put the letters down on the squares.

we were also offered connect 4 by the nursing home - game i didn't really know a bit like noughts and crosses. we didn't follow any rules but i think dad enjoyed dropping the counters into the slots

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Kayla,
Kayla said:
"Oh dear, I've got a nude domino here!"
..that made me chuckle! Card games - snap? Mum used to play patience and Dad would often put the cards in all the wrong places! :) :( :)

How about jig-saws with L-A-R-G-E pieces? Jenga is good but a bit noisy when the bricks come crashing down. I used to like setting up Marble Run for Dad to watch.
Áine said:
but i think dad enjoyed dropping the counters into the slots
That's the main thing isn't it?

Here's a couple of previous threads that might help:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=1395
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=947

Best wishes,

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Scrabble fans!

Hi, Kayla.... mum, too, taught me to love 'Scrabble' and loved to play herself...

We have every version in our house (my early 1970s set might be a collectors' piece now???!!!) - original set - deluxe set - great because it 'holds' the tiles in place ... junior set for when little ones in the family visit and are learning to 'match' (precursor to learning to read and write)... even a Simpson's version (yikes!!!) great fun!!!!

Best of all is the pack of cards (sold as a 'Travel set'?)... reminds me of the old 'Lexicon' game years ago..... essentially Scrabble 'playing cards' with HUGE letters - if you don't play 'Scrabble' (as in making scores etc) you can make up your own word games with them......

Best of luck... will never play 'double-blank' again without thinking 'nude domino'!!!

God bless your mum for that!:) and you for sharing it!

Love, Karen, (TF), x

jarnee

Mar 18, 2006
leicestershire
Hi
Dominoes is one I try to play with dad...he likes it too. It's easy to follow (with a bit of help :D ) and quite quick so he doesn't lose interest.

"Nude domino" I love it. I'll always think of it as such

Have you tried "snap"

Jarnee
XXXXX