DoLS says visits but home won't facilitate

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
I am not sure that I am raising this in the correct thread but will raise it here anyway. My wife has advanced dementia and has no cognition and is immobile. She has been in the same nursing home over 6 years and of course up until March I visited her every day. Since the I can only see her once a week initially outside from 2 metres and now inside but through a screen. A DOLS was authorised last week with an expiry date of 12th January. There are 2 conditions which both relate to me having meaningful and longer visits to see her. At the time of submission I was asked for my wife's best interests and amongst other things said face to face visits should be made available. The home did not support this as their policy is not to allow any visits, other than end of life. I have written to the home manager asking how visits will be facilitated and her reply is that the only visits possible are as now through a screen. I get no response in visiting like this and my question is what rights do I have to get these conditions met please? I have been in contact with Powher and spoken to an advocate who suggested that I ring the Council, which I will do on Monday. Are there any suggestions as to how best pursue this please. Thank you

nipper

Dec 27, 2012
hertfordshire
Hello @nipper If you've not already seen this John's Campaign have published a 'How to' guide in respect of challenging a decision to not allow visits, and there are various options you can try dependant on the reason given, including requesting an individual risk assessment. There may be something here that can help you:

https://johnscampaign.org.uk/post/j...Yt3E8-Lz9gbmZZIEQtkUa4oBfTgwmfT4L1O6mIxWLy-5Y
Thank you, I had seen this document sent from John's campaign. There are a lots of useful questions to raise with the home. The home always seem to have a reason for refusing access which changes as time goes on. Was waiting for Government guidance to waiting for Head Office. They tell me now that they are giving all their attention to organising and giving the vaccinations to staff and residents. I understand with contact to our County council that the home do have the lateral flow tests and with the use of PPE will support the use of them. We are now in Tier 4 so no chance at the moment of having face to face access. I do hope that something will be in place to visit by the time we move down a tier or 2. We were only in Tier 3 for a few hours!!! It is all so soul destroying trying to see your loved one.