DoLS assessor upset

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So glad to hear that @DeeCee7 . I had lots of fun in mum’s care home joining in with the activities and I hope you do too.
Hope the house clearing and selling goes smoothly, but there will always be people here to help or just listen if you need us.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
So glad to hear that @DeeCee7 . I had lots of fun in mum’s care home joining in with the activities and I hope you do too.
Hope the house clearing and selling goes smoothly, but there will always be people here to help or just listen if you need us.
@Sarasa thank you so much! We have joined in with an afternoon tea last week and a carol service later today. It’s so nice to share some joyful moments.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
That’s brilliant news. It’s a shame that you were put through all this stress when the decision was so obvious.

The general public always thinks that care homes are the option of last resort but for some people they improve the quality of their lives apart from the care and safety side. Many people with dementia who live alone are bored and lonely, particularly those who don’t have any close family or any family nearby. In a care home there is always company and activities on site. With visiting carers the person is generally on their own for over 20 hours of the day (day centres are hard to access if there’s nobody nearby to facilitate transport there and back).

I think that John is enjoying the company and activity, which he didn’t have at home.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Such great news for you all 😊😊 I’m glad common sense has prevailed! I do hope the house clearing And selling goes well.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
That’s brilliant news. It’s a shame that you were put through all this stress when the decision was so obvious.

The general public always thinks that care homes are the option of last resort but for some people they improve the quality of their lives apart from the care and safety side. Many people with dementia who live alone are bored and lonely, particularly those who don’t have any close family or any family nearby. In a care home there is always company and activities on site. With visiting carers the person is generally on their own for over 20 hours of the day (day centres are hard to access if there’s nobody nearby to facilitate transport there and back).

I think that John is enjoying the company and activity, which he didn’t have at home.
Thank you @Violet Jane . Yes, the last few months have been very draining. Over Christmas I was able to let go a bit, and sleep for much longer than usual. I thought John was very happy there, but on our last visit, he reverted back to the wanting to go out again, and asking me to write a letter of complaint to the care home manager about not being able to. Upon asking where he would like to go, he said Camberley to see my ex-employer in the hardware shop. Apart from being 50 miles away, everything has changed since the 1960s, but I have got in contact with a local history group online who have provided much information and photos which we can reminisce over on our next visit. At least I have time now to do this kind of thing, more enjoyable than battling SS!
He is enjoying all the events and chatting to people, so I must learn to just smooth over these complaints of his. Which are part of his persona, when I think about it, as when beginning to sort our his massive amount of paperwork, I have found large files of letters of complaint going back to the 1950s. Some of which make very amusing reading.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMK