DoLS assessor upset

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
It probably won't come to the Court of Protection in the end. That's very expensive and I'm pretty sure they won't do that unless someone is being kept in a home who could genuinely manage by themselves elsewhere.

I came up against the DoLS assessor with my mum. I'd moved her to a care home near me after she had a fall that landed her in hospital for a couple of months. Before that she had been fine at home, muddling along and getting in a mess with things, but managing. After the fall she was completely compromised - cognitively she took a huge dip. But she was undiagnosed and hadn't seen a doctor for years. I knew she had dementia but it wasn't official in any way.

In the home, mum was always trying to escape. She didn't want to 'go home' particularly but did want to go to the shops down the road (there weren't any and she didn't know the area anyway) or get out on the bus, etc. She'd get really angry and try to smash her way out of the door. One time when I arrived she insisted her father (!) had been in a car accident and 'they' wouldn't let her go to the hospital to see him. In other words, she was totally unsafe. She also hadn't the foggiest idea where she'd been living for the past 12 years or where she was now, often thinking she was at work.

But as the change had been sudden, mum was still very articulate and presentable, doing a great 'hostess mode' act. So the DoLS assessor started saying, 'wouldn't you like to be in a little flat of your own rather than here...?' and similar things. I got very frustrated - 'Are you mad? She has nowhere to go and couldn't possibly cope!' etc. The assessor was actually quite patient and explained things to me from their point of view. When I pointed out mum would agree to live in the Ritz or on the moon or in a dung heap if it was suggested to her, the SW said, 'Even so, if she says she wants to go home and we think she could manage, that's how it has to be.' She explained about the 'least restrictive option' directive that they worked to and although I completely understood that, there seemed to be a distinct lack of common sense in the mix. (Which I explained to her, in no uncertain terms!) For example, I thought it was great that mum was checked on daya and night. The social worker thought that was 'an unnecessary disturbance'. At that point, things became a bit fraught. The SW said she could not appoint me as mum's RPR (Relevant Person's Representative) becuse I wanted mum to stay where she was and mum - apparently - wanted to be elsewhere. So an independent advocate was appointed. I told the SW that I would wash my hands of the whole situation unless she could see that mum needed 24/7 care. I also refused to say where mum's home was and told her if she wanted mum to live somewhere else, it would be up to her to sort that out and I would resign from being her EPA, wouldn't help in any way. Finally, I said that if she went ahead with this ridiculous plan, I would hold her personally responsible should mum come to any harm as a result and would see her in court for negligence. And I left.

OK, so I'm mean and probably not a nice person to deal with. But I was scared for mum's safety. (I wouldn't have abandoned her, of course.)

What happened was that a temporary DoLS was granted (for 6 months), pending a further scan (which was scheduled) and referral to a consultant. An advocate was appointed who visited mum a couple of times and still maintained mum could live in her own place with a care package. But the consultant saved the day really. Mum had a scan which didn't show much but he visited her at the care home and diagnosed vascular dementia. Then he talked to me at length on the phone about how mum was prior to the fall (she'd been getting dodgy for years) and added Alzheimer's to the mix. He agreed that mum was definitely in the right place and really couldn't manage by herself. I told him my fears about the DoLS SW and advocate wanting to move mum to independent living and he was amazed (She's not going to get any better!') but told me that if they tried, to refer them to him. He said that in the end it was their decision, not his, but that, 'It would be a brave social worker who went against the recommendations of a consultant.'

And so when the 6 months was up, the DoLS SW returned and I was there when she went to talk to mum. Mum, bless her, talked about rice pudding - and nothing else - for over an hour :)

Of course, by then mum also had her diagnosis of dementia which added a lot of weight. Fortunately, the SW then agreed that the DoLS would be granted. Apparently the advocate had already been told not to bother visiting again a few months earlier - no one told me.

The point is, the whole system is unfortunately very adversarial. I get that they want to stop people from dumping granny in a care home just because she's annoying and smells a bit. But they need to put patient safety first and foremost. It's not as if people with dementia ever get better.

So my advice is stick to your guns, be prepared to (threaten to) hand over everything to social services and refuse to help. And get consultants on board if you can. Realistically, if this did get as far as the Court of Protection, I can only imagine the judge telling the social workers, 'Are you mad? Why have you wasted everyone's time with this? Obviously this person needs to be in a care home!' So I really don't think it will come to that - it's just going through the motions.

Fight the good fight! (And good luck.)
Thank you @Jaded’n’faded that was a very interesting read. What an exhausting experience you have been through!
We went to see John today and suggested he might like to view another care home. He said he was up for visiting “ take me there and sell it to me” were his words. After talking to him about going home, he truly doesn’t understand where this is so I think the key thing is that, like your mum, he wants the choice to “go out shopping” but couldn’t say what he wanted. Interestingly a care worker at the home said he only asks to go out in the evenings, hence we haven’t seen this behaviour, and it’s part of “sundowning”. All the care staff we spoke to, including 2 managers said he should be in a care home for his own safety. Let’s hope they can help the meeting go in John’s best interest of being cared for.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
@DeeCee7 Forgot to say, may I congratulate you on the house transformation you did? That's bl**dy fantastic! Looks like Nick Knowles and the team have been round...
Ha ha! Thank you. That made us chuckle. We have worked through the entire house. Check these two out!

Attachments

• IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6605.jpeg
    IMG_6605.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 207

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
It probably won't come to the Court of Protection in the end. That's very expensive and I'm pretty sure they won't do that unless someone is being kept in a home who could genuinely manage by themselves elsewhere.

I came up against the DoLS assessor with my mum. I'd moved her to a care home near me after she had a fall that landed her in hospital for a couple of months. Before that she had been fine at home, muddling along and getting in a mess with things, but managing. After the fall she was completely compromised - cognitively she took a huge dip. But she was undiagnosed and hadn't seen a doctor for years. I knew she had dementia but it wasn't official in any way.

In the home, mum was always trying to escape. She didn't want to 'go home' particularly but did want to go to the shops down the road (there weren't any and she didn't know the area anyway) or get out on the bus, etc. She'd get really angry and try to smash her way out of the door. One time when I arrived she insisted her father (!) had been in a car accident and 'they' wouldn't let her go to the hospital to see him. In other words, she was totally unsafe. She also hadn't the foggiest idea where she'd been living for the past 12 years or where she was now, often thinking she was at work.

But as the change had been sudden, mum was still very articulate and presentable, doing a great 'hostess mode' act. So the DoLS assessor started saying, 'wouldn't you like to be in a little flat of your own rather than here...?' and similar things. I got very frustrated - 'Are you mad? She has nowhere to go and couldn't possibly cope!' etc. The assessor was actually quite patient and explained things to me from their point of view. When I pointed out mum would agree to live in the Ritz or on the moon or in a dung heap if it was suggested to her, the SW said, 'Even so, if she says she wants to go home and we think she could manage, that's how it has to be.' She explained about the 'least restrictive option' directive that they worked to and although I completely understood that, there seemed to be a distinct lack of common sense in the mix. (Which I explained to her, in no uncertain terms!) For example, I thought it was great that mum was checked on daya and night. The social worker thought that was 'an unnecessary disturbance'. At that point, things became a bit fraught. The SW said she could not appoint me as mum's RPR (Relevant Person's Representative) becuse I wanted mum to stay where she was and mum - apparently - wanted to be elsewhere. So an independent advocate was appointed. I told the SW that I would wash my hands of the whole situation unless she could see that mum needed 24/7 care. I also refused to say where mum's home was and told her if she wanted mum to live somewhere else, it would be up to her to sort that out and I would resign from being her EPA, wouldn't help in any way. Finally, I said that if she went ahead with this ridiculous plan, I would hold her personally responsible should mum come to any harm as a result and would see her in court for negligence. And I left.

OK, so I'm mean and probably not a nice person to deal with. But I was scared for mum's safety. (I wouldn't have abandoned her, of course.)

What happened was that a temporary DoLS was granted (for 6 months), pending a further scan (which was scheduled) and referral to a consultant. An advocate was appointed who visited mum a couple of times and still maintained mum could live in her own place with a care package. But the consultant saved the day really. Mum had a scan which didn't show much but he visited her at the care home and diagnosed vascular dementia. Then he talked to me at length on the phone about how mum was prior to the fall (she'd been getting dodgy for years) and added Alzheimer's to the mix. He agreed that mum was definitely in the right place and really couldn't manage by herself. I told him my fears about the DoLS SW and advocate wanting to move mum to independent living and he was amazed (She's not going to get any better!') but told me that if they tried, to refer them to him. He said that in the end it was their decision, not his, but that, 'It would be a brave social worker who went against the recommendations of a consultant.'

And so when the 6 months was up, the DoLS SW returned and I was there when she went to talk to mum. Mum, bless her, talked about rice pudding - and nothing else - for over an hour :)

Of course, by then mum also had her diagnosis of dementia which added a lot of weight. Fortunately, the SW then agreed that the DoLS would be granted. Apparently the advocate had already been told not to bother visiting again a few months earlier - no one told me.

The point is, the whole system is unfortunately very adversarial. I get that they want to stop people from dumping granny in a care home just because she's annoying and smells a bit. But they need to put patient safety first and foremost. It's not as if people with dementia ever get better.

So my advice is stick to your guns, be prepared to (threaten to) hand over everything to social services and refuse to help. And get consultants on board if you can. Realistically, if this did get as far as the Court of Protection, I can only imagine the judge telling the social workers, 'Are you mad? Why have you wasted everyone's time with this? Obviously this person needs to be in a care home!' So I really don't think it will come to that - it's just going through the motions.

Fight the good fight! (And good luck.)
Well done for standing up to social services as I’d imagine some people would feel too overwhelmed and intimidated to fight. My Mum has been granted a temporary DoLS whilst in hospital and due to her level of cognitive impairments is unable to express her views. I’ve not been asked about being her RPR and wouldn’t want this role although I dread some do gooder being appointed and deciding to be her voice if it means a care package at home could still be proposed.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Update on John’s DoL assessment

We were informed by SS that once a Best Interest Assessor had been appointed and visited John, we would all be involved in a Teams meeting. I spent many hours honing my statement, with much information and support by fellow Forum members.

Imagine my surprise when in today’s post I receive a letter from the Team Leader of the DoL Safeguards Team to say, after a visit, the assessor has granted a 3 month DoLS authorisation, dated last week. This is to see if over the next 3 months, John still wants to leave the care home. ( Although, since I heard about this, I have asked some care home staff, and they said it wasn’t all the time, or serious, John would accept their reasons, and it usually was a result of “sundowning”)

We are, of course, delighted with the outcome as a return home would have been downright dangerous, but surprised not to have the meeting.

The original DoLs assessor asked me if I would like to be the Relevant Person’s Representative which I have now signed up for, to run alongside the 3month term.

I spoke to the care home manager this afternoon, who hasn’t yet been informed.

My question is, who will be responsible for funding this 3 month period? I understand the Authorisation is Care Home specific, so John has to stay there. We did make it clear at the outset that we would prefer a smaller care home more local to us, so we and any of his friends could visit more often, and as a self-funder would be a cheaper option, and therefore his funds would last longer, without the need to move again. However, he has settled in well, and we are pleased with the care he is receiving, so we are in a quandary over next steps in 3 months time. He is engaging well with staff and fellow residents, and joining in with many activities.

As holders of PoA for property and finance, we are very mindful of making the best decisions on behalf of John. We had planned to rent his property out, to partially fund his care home fees, but with only a 3 month DoLs in place, this now looks uncertain. We can’t see the decision being overturned, as his dementia is increasing all the time, but we can’t be 100% certain.

What do other members suggest?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
who will be responsible for funding this 3 month period?
It doesnt make any difference to the funding - he will still be self-funded.

We did make it clear at the outset that we would prefer a smaller care home more local to us, so we and any of his friends could visit more often, and as a self-funder would be a cheaper option, and therefore his funds would last longer, without the need to move again. However, he has settled in well, and we are pleased with the care he is receiving, so we are in a quandary over next steps in 3 months time. He is engaging well with staff and fellow residents, and joining in with many activities.
If you move him somewhere else the new place will have to apply for a DoLS too

Its difficult to know what to suggest about moving him - on one hand he might get on better in a smaller, more intimate home and I can see the other advantages, but on the other hand, you dont want to unsettle him again.

We had planned to rent his property out, to partially fund his care home fees, but with only a 3 month DoLs in place, this now looks uncertain
Personally, I doubt that in 3 months time the DoLS assessor (and it probably wont be the same one) will feel that he should go home

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’d agree with @canary

It will take a while to rent the property out so you could start some of the background work - electrical, gas checks…….perhaps sorting out some personal items and getting rid of junk that tenants or John would never use ……I would be surprised if John was to come home after all this time.

it is difficult about moving him When he is settled and engaging well. How far away is it from yourselves and other friends? If he has a house to sell eventually is his money likely to run out? There’s always the option of moving him when his dementia is much more advanced and he is more unaware….some people report their relatives at this point seem completely unaware they have moved counties and care homes.

You‘re good friends to him 👍👍👍

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023

Its difficult to know what to suggest about moving him - on one hand he might get on better in a smaller, more intimate home and I can see the other advantages, but on the other hand, you dont want to unsettle him again.

Personally, I doubt that in 3 months time the DoLS assessor (and it probably wont be the same one) will feel that he should go home

Thank you @canary , you have made some thoughtful comments to think about.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I’d agree with @canary

It will take a while to rent the property out so you could start some of the background work - electrical, gas checks…….perhaps sorting out some personal items and getting rid of junk that tenants or John would never use ……I would be surprised if John was to come home after all this time.

it is difficult about moving him When he is settled and engaging well. How far away is it from yourselves and other friends? If he has a house to sell eventually is his money likely to run out? There’s always the option of moving him when his dementia is much more advanced and he is more unaware….some people report their relatives at this point seem completely unaware they have moved counties and care homes.

You‘re good friends to him 👍👍👍
Thank you @sdmhred . The property is pretty much ready to rent out now, so John will now be missing out on some much needed rental income. I think the option of moving him when his dementia is more advanced is a very good plan.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
That's a relief. You can still get the ball rolling on renting out John's house by getting rid of what's clearly junk, old food etc, doing a thorough clean, getting safety checks done and contacting estate agents for advice. I do think that you need to consider whether or not it would be better selling rather than renting out the house taking everything into account. Of course, you won't want to do that until you are confident that residential care is going to be permanent.

Depending on where the house is, you may find that it's not easily rentable. We had to rent out my mother's house as, effectively, an HMO (with a series of short lets) because it wasn't smart enough to rent to a family.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about friends visiting John. In my experience, friends don't visit once the PWD is living in a care home even if it's not far away.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Why not start advertising it with a start tenancy date for just beyond 3 months time ??? You can await any signing until the DOLS has been reassessed and most likely renewed??? Bit of a gamble ….but he will have been in residential for what 6-9 months by then….???

in terms of @violet Jane’s point regarding quality of rental…..my Dad left mum with a very basic rental. We let it very successfully to Syrian refugees via the government scheme. All organised by the council and very smooth. long term tenants who were very thankful. We have just sold the property to release capital but the rental income far exceeded any interest mum would have earned on the capital plus provided a home to those who needed it.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
That's a relief. You can still get the ball rolling on renting out John's house by getting rid of what's clearly junk, old food etc, doing a thorough clean, getting safety checks done and contacting estate agents for advice. I do think that you need to consider whether or not it would be better selling rather than renting out the house taking everything into account. Of course, you won't want to do that until you are confident that residential care is going to be permanent.

Depending on where the house is, you may find that it's not easily rentable. We had to rent out my mother's house as, effectively, an HMO (with a series of short lets) because it wasn't smart enough to rent to a family.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about friends visiting John. In my experience, friends don't visit once the PWD is living in a care home even if it's not far away.
Thanks @Violet Jane . We have spoken to some estate agents and they all said it would rent very easily. I am just worried about doing something too quickly, although the thought has crossed my mind that if the house was sold, it would actually pre empt future decisions about going home! John is already showing signs of worsening, he told us last week he should have seen his mother on Saturday and will have to phone her.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Why not start advertising it with a start tenancy date for just beyond 3 months time ??? You can await any signing until the DOLS has been reassessed and most likely renewed??? Bit of a gamble ….but he will have been in residential for what 6-9 months by then….???

in terms of @violet Jane’s point regarding quality of rental…..my Dad left mum with a very basic rental. We let it very successfully to Syrian refugees via the government scheme. All organised by the council and very smooth. long term tenants who were very thankful. We have just sold the property to release capital but the rental income far exceeded any interest mum would have earned on the capital plus provided a home to those who needed it.
@sdmhred , that’s an excellent idea of starting the tenancy in 3 months time. I think I will discuss this further with the estate agent we favoured the most.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Further update. The best interest meeting is now scheduled for Friday! It’s been a long wait. The SW phoned me re arranging dates and it is clear she is still of the opinion that John should go home. He has been away from home since August, either in hospital or the care home. I have tried to explain that he now talks a lot about going home to see his mother, who is long dead, but she brushed this aside. Even if it fails, we must try she said. So I am convinced it’s all about the numbers game and discharge to home figures. Especially as he is self-funding. Who is going to shop for him, etc etc and do his laundry with no washing machine facilities is beyond me. I have written a 9 page statement and do hope I get the opportunity to present the case of reason.
PS Jolly glad we held off renting his house!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m sure they won’t have thought of such essential practicalities @DeeCee7! Or they will be expecting you to agree to do it all after a bit of persuasion.

Stand firm and don’t let a failing care package land on your shoulders.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I’m sure they won’t have thought of such essential practicalities @DeeCee7! Or they will be expecting you to agree to do it all after a bit of persuasion.

Stand firm and don’t let a failing care package land on your shoulders.
Thank you @sdmhred . All the essential practicalities have been pointed out, but the SW seems blind to this. It defies all logic and we will stand absolutely firm, as we cannot condone or collude with such a dangerous decision. It seems like she’s happy to allow him to fail, so she can say “ well we did try”. I know it will end in injury if not death. This sounds overdramatic, but the hospital OT has flagged up his inability to negotiate steps safely. Then on a visit out last week there was a kerbstep to negotiate after getting out the car, I warned John to take care, but he just said yes and promptly slid over it, and would have fallen to the ground if I hadn’t been supporting him. He has steep stairs at home and a tricky step out of the front door which he has fallen over before, resulting in a visit to A&E with a head injury. I have a catalogue of examples of safeguarding points like this. He has been living on a single level with no steps since August, with worsening dementia. I will tell them I will hold them responsible for any injuries to our friend.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm glad you've got a document that highlights all the problems if John is allowed to go home. Hopefully there will be a range of people at the meeting and the social worker will not have the final say on what happens.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I'm glad you've got a document that highlights all the problems if John is allowed to go home. Hopefully there will be a range of people at the meeting and the social worker will not have the final say on what happens.
Thank you Sarasa. There will be the Chairperson, who is apparently usually one of the Seniors in the Hospital Discharge Team, the Social Worker, IMCA, the care home manager and RGN and ourselves as John’s next of kin. The care home staff understand the need for John’s continued support in the care home setting. The DoLs assessment actually stated that he “requires a secure environment as he would be at risk in the community”. I asked the SW if she had read this and she had!

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Success!!
At long last, I can breathe again and sleep at night.
We had the long awaited Best Interest meeting which was over 2 hours long and which I found very stressful, although the SW and the Chairperson were very kind and enabling. They were prepared to listen to my 8 page statement, which took 15 minutes in itself, and gave us a fair hearing. Various options were discussed and pros and cons voiced, but eventually we all agreed that John needed 24 hour in a care home.
Very fortunately the care home where he is had a residential room with ensuite available, so we have decided to not move John to a different home. He couldn’t wait to move into his new room, which is bigger and has a lovely view. He told one of the staff, without any hesitation, that it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to him!
It’s also helped that there are lots of Christmas events going on, so there’s much to entertain him at the moment and distract him from other thoughts. SS have now signed him off, so we can get on with doing our Financial duties. As this care home is quite expensive, we will need to now sell and not rent his house in the new year. But once we have cleared his house, sold it and invested his money we can do away with all the paperwork snd endless lists and return to being a friend to John.
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the folk on these forums who have taken the trouble to offer their thoughts, support and advice and have guided me through this difficult journey. Without you all, I dread to think what the outcome would have been.
Sending you all Christmas blessings and joy, even though sometimes life can be very hard.