Doll therapy

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
Has anyone used doll therapy, and if so do they have any recommendation as to which dolls to buy? Are there any specifically made for people with dementia?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
There are special dolls but they are frightening. They had them in my husband's nursing home. No one touched them they just sat there.

When he moved to the nursing floor there were lots of ladies sitting with ordinary dolls on their lap or walking around. They seemed to bring a lot of comfort and joy to the ladies. So just a baby sized doll and a nice blanket should be ok.

teahound

Apr 19, 2013
Has anyone used doll therapy, and if so do they have any recommendation as to which dolls to buy? Are there any specifically made for people with dementia?

Hi Olivia,

A lady in my mum's care home has a Chad Valley Ava doll. I'm going to get one for my mum as well, it has been very good for the other resident and my mum seems keen on it. It has a soft body and is a good size.

Best wishes,

Teahound

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Not everyone with dementia finds it helpful. Mum doesnt like dolls, though she has a soft rabbit that she cuddles. I have seen it work well though. A friend of mines mother has a doll that she constantly talks to and "looks after". It is only an ordinary baby doll, but she loves it. Everything supposedly for dementia always seems to have a price mark up.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
We never tried mum with a doll but she adored her soft cuddly teddies and treated them like they were her baby.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH got very attached to a soft toy dog for several months. Worked well, went to bed with him.
It came from a very well known toy shop found in every town before he started cuddling it. Get a washable one though!