Does anyone have ideas for an activity coordinator please?

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Hello everyone, hope you are all keeping cool in this rather hot weather. Can anyone help me please. I have a resident at the Dementia Care Home where I work who used to engage in pigeon racing. Where would I start trying to arrange something around this? Open to any ideas/suggestions please. As ever thank you very much for responding. xx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Impressive - such a quick response. Looking at the website right now. Thank you very much
Mr G can be your friend as well
2023-06-12_204403.png

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Have just sent them an email explaining what my scenario is, hopefully they will respond. Will let you know. Thank you again xx

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Afternoon everyone, hope you are enjoying these sunny days. Just getting ready for work as my activity co-ordinator. I have a question. Please can you tell me, on our website we have wording which I am not sure is politically correct? Should it not say "accessible" rather than "disabled" or have I got it wrong? As ever, thank you for answering xx

1686830484731.png

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think accessible is what it should say, too, but most facilities are labelled "disabled" and that is what people are used to.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Thank you all for answering so promptly. I just love "Talking Point" - you are always there for me answering any question I post. I think I will talk to my Manager and get this changed.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Quick update, went to work today and looked at the residents toilets and they are clearly marked as "accessible". Told the Manager about the website quoting "disabled toilets" and with her backing, I have requested our IT Department to amend the wording. Thanks for your input everyone xxx

1686930282136.jpeg

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
I have been given some "bowls" and am excited to use them for an activity. Just had a practice run with a couple of my colleagues and the bowls went everywhere. Anybody got any ideas how to contain the bowls within a designated area save me chasing them all over the place. Each colour has 4 bowls each, so how many players should i do on each team to make it work?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I have been given some "bowls" and am excited to use them for an activity. Just had a practice run with a couple of my colleagues and the bowls went everywhere. Anybody got any ideas how to contain the bowls within a designated area save me chasing them all over the place. Each colour has 4 bowls each, so how many players should i do on each team to make it work?
Would cushions work? or planks of wood to make an edge? I know how to plat French boules but not bowls so sorry no help there, but I believe you play carpet bowls the same way as crown green bowls (bowling greens), I suspect that some of your residents will know how to play very well, could be another opportunity for infection involvement and reminiscence. They’ll be chuffed to bits to be teaching you something.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Would cushions work? or planks of wood to make an edge? I know how to plat French boules but not bowls so sorry no help there, but I believe you play carpet bowls the same way as crown green bowls (bowling greens), I suspect that some of your residents will know how to play very well, could be another opportunity for infection involvement and reminiscence. They’ll be chuffed to bits to be teaching you something.
Thank you for your suggestion. I managed to find some cushions, one of the domestics has promised to clean them and dry them ready for me on Monday morning. Will let you know if it works.