Does anyone have a good experience with social services?

Bee.quilt

Dec 29, 2017
i need advice from a community therapist re:-OH with recent loss of sight in one eye, already partially deaf and with Alzheimer’s. GP says I need to self refer to social services. Their reputation locally and in the media is not inspiring me to get involved with them. Am I misjudging a capable source of help? Advice welcome please. Bee.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
i need advice from a community therapist re:-OH with recent loss of sight in one eye, already partially deaf and with Alzheimer’s. GP says I need to self refer to social services. Their reputation locally and in the media is not inspiring me to get involved with them. Am I misjudging a capable source of help? Advice welcome please. Bee.
With my mother having dementia,she had a care assessment and they were fine,the only other time we had to see her was a year later at a yearly care review,we didn't have any problems,I hear that they are so busy and short staffed,that it's unlikely you will ever see much of them or have a long call from them.
I know where you are coming from though,I felt the same until I met them.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive had dealings with SS on 3 occasions now, 2 with mum and 1 with my OH.
The first time was when mum was referred to SS by her GP. They phoned mum up to find out what help she required and when she said that she didnt need any help at all they took this at face value and crossed her off their books :eek: I was hopping mad because she was not safe at home, was not washing/changing her clothes, could not cook or even make a cup of tea. There was nothing I could do until there was a crisis - mum ended up in hospital after a TIA and that was where I came across SS for the second time. The hospital SW was really helpful, pointed me in the right direction for help, advised me on getting CoP deputyship and even filled in the form for the CoP saying that mum had lost capacity and gave me her home address so that I could get it to her quicker.

The third time was for a needs assessment for my OH. The SW was cheerful and thoughtful. He was aware that OH didnt tick the "right" boxes and phoned me a couple of days later with the details of a day centre that he thought would be a good match for OH. I had never heard of the day centre and apparently it needed a referral from the SW (I wouldnt have been able to access it myself). Unfortunately OH refused to go there :rolleyes: but that was not the SWs fault.

Im guessing this is all pretty average. It struck me that generally SWs are good people (always the exception, of course) trying to help under difficult constraints. And yes, Im sure that a lot of of the decisions they have to make are due to financial constraints; also that the inexperienced ones can be taken in by our PWDs and sometimes things can go horribly wrong, but generally I think their reputation is unfair.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is often those who have had negative experiences who shout the loudest @Bee.quilt. I had only one complaint when Social Services were helping with my husband and no complaints when my mother had dementia.

The single complaint I had was dealt with to my satisfaction.

There is no point criticising any organisation just on hearsay alone. Everyone has different needs and experiences and Social Services are even more hard pressed than in previous years because of cuts and demands on a highly oversubscribed service.

You won`t know until you try.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My experience with SS, once things got moving (they were very slow to start with) was positive. I did have to be firm about what I felt dad needed. His social worker was lovely and very good but working within the constraints of a very very tight budget. However she argued dad’s case with the the powers that be and got dad the care he needed...eventually!

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I live in Warwickshire and have been very lucky with my Social Workers, my OH has just moved into his permanent care home and they have helped me every step of the way, I don't know how I would have managed without them.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have just noticed that you need to contact SS in order to contact the Community Therapists. I must say that the Therapists are a completely different thing from SS - SS is just the route to get to them - and when OH had his stroke I found them wonderful

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
SS in my area have been really nice although I admit my contact with them has only been superficial. Both times my hubby has been fit for discharge they have rung me asking if I have everything I need equipment wise. Further on in the conversation I have said to them, 'OH is self funding, so I guess this is where you bow out'.

They have been very compassionate and said questioned that he has more than £23,500 in savings and when confirmed they said yes, unfortunately our hands are tied. However if that changes or I need help to get in contact with them.
I was pleasantly surprised.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I agree with the above. What I do find nowadays is that SS and NHS staff are trying to work together so eg the exercises given by physios are the ones carried out at daycare. The equipment installed after a hospital stay is advised by all the various bodies I come in contact with. I get the feeling they are going to the same meetings and reading the same handouts.

When it comes to finance there are strict rules as has been said but the carers’ social worker told me she has a separate budget for any deserving cases she comes across which don’t meet the criteria. So there is room for some subjective decision making as well.

The important thing is to reach out for help and see what happens. Work with them but be clear about what you need.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
My Mum is about to have an assessment, related to a financial assessment, from social services this week, so I will let you know how it goes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I had involvement with Social Services for around 8 years in relation to first my mother then my husband. I have nothing but praise for the case manager who worked with us. I agree with Marion’s advice to reach out to them and be clear about what you want. I was always proactive.

Bee.quilt

Dec 29, 2017
Thank you all for your replies. I feel I can go ahead with confidence now. It is so good to have advice from people who've done it. This Alzheimer's journey is a minefield of decisions and sometimes I feel there's just me to do the right thing. Thank you all and best wishes with your own journeys. XBee

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I would say, after meeting with a social worker yesterday, obviously the PWD is the focus of the meeting but I was surprised that she also asked my father and I (not in my Mums presence) how this was all affecting us and recommended a local carers centre. On the basis of this, I would say don't be afraid to ask for things you might - respite etc

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was surprised that she also asked my father and I (not in my Mums presence) how this was all affecting us and recommended a local carers centre.

I`m pleased you had a positive experience @Helly68. It shows there is nothing to lose by trying for ourselves rather than listening to hearsay.