Does anyone care for a parent who lives on their own and has Alzheimers in Cheshire

cupidblue

Sep 23, 2014
Macclesfield
My Mum was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers in 2013. I gave up full time work because I felt I was run ragged with various appointments for Mum ( she also diagnosed type 2 diabetes after a fall in 2010) and having to use holiday or unpaid leave so I could sit in waiting rooms with her. I have no other family members to help me.
Reason why I ask is I am trying to find a reliable care company in Cheshire area ( SK10). In 2014 after a fall, Mum was in hospital for a while.. it hit me then that emotionally I couldn't cope any more. Social services did an assessment on me and set up a care plan which I then tried to put into place with her current care company who say they were dementia trained. After 7 months we have had to reduce the calls as my Mum refuses any help. They now only go to administer Mums medication twice day.
So I am almost back to square one caring for my Mum in between calls.
We had a meeting with the care company yesterday because of same old problem that the carers were not managing to meet the allotted call time and I refused to pay the bill.. they were suppose to stay half hour and most calls were just about reaching 15 mins. Which we have now reduced it to.
We discussed Mum and although I read the notes of when the carers call.. at no point have the carers consistently written Mum was agitated or anything regarding her mood which seemed to be the issue why carers didn't stay. During this meeting on a few occasions it was mentioned you could try another care company... I just didn't want to go down that path again having to have my Mum sit there and say she can manage and doesn't need help, but I do.
Is there anyone else out there in the same boat?

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
My Mum was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers in 2013. I gave up full time work because I felt I was run ragged with various appointments for Mum ( she also diagnosed type 2 diabetes after a fall in 2010) and having to use holiday or unpaid leave so I could sit in waiting rooms with her. I have no other family members to help me.
Reason why I ask is I am trying to find a reliable care company in Cheshire area ( SK10). In 2014 after a fall, Mum was in hospital for a while.. it hit me then that emotionally I couldn't cope any more. Social services did an assessment on me and set up a care plan which I then tried to put into place with her current care company who say they were dementia trained. After 7 months we have had to reduce the calls as my Mum refuses any help. They now only go to administer Mums medication twice day.
So I am almost back to square one caring for my Mum in between calls.
We had a meeting with the care company yesterday because of same old problem that the carers were not managing to meet the allotted call time and I refused to pay the bill.. they were suppose to stay half hour and most calls were just about reaching 15 mins. Which we have now reduced it to.
We discussed Mum and although I read the notes of when the carers call.. at no point have the carers consistently written Mum was agitated or anything regarding her mood which seemed to be the issue why carers didn't stay. During this meeting on a few occasions it was mentioned you could try another care company... I just didn't want to go down that path again having to have my Mum sit there and say she can manage and doesn't need help, but I do.
Is there anyone else out there in the same boat?

I don't live in your area but understand what you are saying. Mom is on her second lot of carers, my mom likes them when you ask her, but if you are with her a while she moans about them. When you look in her records 9 times out of 10 they have Nt done anything and say mom was fine. The first lot of carers were supposed to stay half hr but were staying 5 mins. The next lot of carers are supposed to be there twice a day 45 mins. We have been advised to have a note book and list what you would like them to do as mom always says no. So now they strip and change sheets. Try this get a book started, I've suggested they do her hearing aids for her, which they now do. Mom would never ask them. Get them making bed, it's just little things but it makes all the difference. And if mom gets used to them hopefully they can do more. Mom won't let them get her meals so give them other ideas what to do.Mom pays part of the bill. Hope this is helpful.

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra