Do you have experience of recruiting and using private carers?

caramba

Jun 9, 2019
My Mum has been living with dementia ( well- diagnosed dementia) for the last year and half. She is now in a situation where she needs someone coming in every day to help her prepare food etc. My sisters and I go there regularly but we don't live near and lots of other reasons. so I've been looking at health care for longer term solutions. My mum doesn't want to go into a home. She may have to one day but 'd like to respect her wishes as much as I can and see if we can have private health care- as in a carer

Does anyone on the forum have some good advice or links to help? Having read some of the posts on here I also feel that there isn't really a care home option anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My Mum has been living with dementia ( well- diagnosed dementia) for the last year and half. She is now in a situation where she needs someone coming in every day to help her prepare food etc. My sisters and I go there regularly but we don't live near and lots of other reasons. so I've been looking at health care for longer term solutions. My mum doesn't want to go into a home. She may have to one day but 'd like to respect her wishes as much as I can and see if we can have private health care- as in a carer.

Does anyone on the forum have some good advice or links to help? Having read some of the posts on here I also feel that there isn't really a care home option anymore?

My mother-in-law had a private care agency 3 visits a day for 3 years whilst she was in the earlier stages of dementia. There was no social services involvement it was simply social care providing her with meals, breakfast prompting drinks and prompting her medication. The care plan did also say personal care but to be honest she refused all personal care for a number of years. As I have power of attorney for finances it was quite straightforward to contact an agency direct and arrange payment through direct debit using her account. There are lots of care agencies out there and they all come and assess the situation for you the agency we used came recommended through social services. My mother-in-law was self-funding so it was quite straightforward to arrange

I'm not sure what you mean by no care home option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
We aren't allowed to give links to care agencies, but it should be easy to find what you need. Google 'care at home' plus her location and you will get various agencies. Call a few, make sure they are well versed in caring for those with dementia, and then arrange for them to come to the house to meet you and assess your mum. In terms of costs, a year ago it was £22 per hour weekdays, £24 p.h. weekends (London).

My mother had care at home for 18 months. She was self-funding so I chose the agency myself and they would do anything she needed. I thought it would be more helpful for her to have one big chunk of care each day, rather than a few shorter periods. So I arranged for carers from 9-1, so they could do breakfast, washing/dressing as necessary, housework/shopping/appointments, then lunch. I subsequently also arranged for a carer to come in for an hour at 6pm to giver her dinner. She had three main carers and a couple of others who filled in when necessary - it's very helpful for people with dementia to have consistency and see the same faces.

What makes you think care homes are no longer a possibility? My mother has been in a care home for over a year now (self funded). If you need SS funding, they do admittedly make you wait until crisis point, but care home placements are still provided.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I used a care agency found by searching the internet.

I prefered a care agency to a private carer because all their carers were dementia trained.

@Sirena is correct in saying we do not post names of care homes and agencies on the Forum . It`s impossible to guarantee the standards of care provided by agencies care homes and Talking Point can take no responsibility for changing standards, changes of staff and differing needs.

When I did decide on an agency, the manager made a home visit and we spent two hours discussing my husband`s needs.