Do we have to pay fees to the court of protection and if so, how did you pay yours?

LostInLondon

Feb 26, 2021
Hello,

I've only just got our COP forms ready since my dad went into a home in March.

I was just wondering if I have to pay fees for the application. Is the fee paying based on my funds or my father's funds? I read an old thread here from 2010 about a COP fee exempt form but the link didn't work and I can't find an equivalent form. If they reject the application do they still take the money?

Lastly what is the best way to pay this? I'm very nervous about sending a cheque in the post.

Thank you.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
You pay the fee with the application but when Deputyship is granted you can pay the money back to yourself from your Dad's money. We successfully sent cheques in the post, after searching for the cheque book!
As @nitram has said the application fee has to be paid regardless, the reduction in fees is for the ongoing supervision.
Keep a record of all money spent on behalf of your Dad, including postage as it mounts up as 'signed for', then you can pay yourself everything back as Deputy expenses . Once you get Deputyship register with the bank and you can then spend you Dad's money on his behalf.
Hope this helps.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's cheque only for the application, thereafter there are several methods they will accept because you have a reference number allocated

LostInLondon

Feb 26, 2021
Thanks very much for explaining. I appreciate it. So I have to pay whether or not my father has enough funds (reduction is only for the yearly supervision fee). £365 by cheque (I can pay myself back for this and the postal costs once I have access to his funds). What is the safest way to do this? Recorded delivery? Signed for? I'm reluctant to do this tomorrow/on a Friday as no one will be there to receive it the next day. I'll wait until Monday.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I seem to remember that when I sent in mums application and cheque the notes that came with the application stated that I had to send the whole lot by recorded delivery.

BTW, dont forget to make copies of the application for yourself as well as the ones for the Court of Protection - just in case anything goes wrong. Nothing went wrong in my/mums case and I got the copy back (stamped with the CoP seal and with mums allocated reference number) very quickly.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We used 'signed for' for all the court documents and then when we had to send the Court Order to sort out finances.

LostInLondon

Feb 26, 2021
Thanks very much for all of your help. I'll be sending it today. Just one more question.

I made copies for me and my mum already but just saw the notes from the COP that say I have to send them 2 copies of the COP1 form as well. Do you know why? Is it only of the COP1 form we need to give them 2 copies of? We have other forms too. I nearly missed that.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The CoP will send the copy back to you stamped with their seal and with the registration number on it so there is proof that they have received it and so that the Court knows that you have an accurate and true copy of the application.

I made copies of everything that went to the Court, not just the COP1 - just to make sure!

LostInLondon

Feb 26, 2021
Brilliant thanks. Yes I've made copies of all forms. I just want to be sure that the only copies they need are for COP1 and not the other forms as well.