Do things change that quickly

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
We saw Mum last Thurs and again yesterday - she complained about having had a sore throat and that now she couldn't swallow properly and thought it had gone onto her chest but she couldn't cough, she also said she thought she was dying as everything was giving up.

I spoke to Care Home this morn as I was concerned about her last night and they said she had had a fall in night and wasn't herself and they had called the Doc - I went straight there, she was very agitated and her speech was so slow and slurred and when trying to clean her teeth she started to try and cough but just didn't have strength - an ambulance was called and Mum is now on stroke ward waiting for brain scan- and on puréed food and thickened water, as on admission, she could swallow water but it then sparked off coughing/choking, since the tricked water, her cough has abated - the thought is a "brain episode" has exacerbated her Alzheimer's and that the swallow and coughing is all part and parcel of this terrible disease. Does it really happen that quickly? Tbh she is such a sorry state this evening it's so sad to see

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
A simple UTI can have a very similar effect.
Lets hope they find that it is something that simple

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Infections of any sort cause absolute havoc with dementia, but if she has also had a small stroke that can progress things very quickly. Things may improve with time, I think you may have to wait and see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5