Do I inform about aggressive behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosyred

Apr 24, 2018
My partner has become a little more aggressive and on Sunday he became very frustrated ,he insisted on painting the hall and wanted me to advise him I couldn’t so when I turned from the sink in my kitchen he had both hands on my neck .i was extremely shocked and can’t seem to get over the fact I m some how responsible .any thoughts .he has Alzheimer’s xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @rosyred, you are welcome here. It's important to deal with this development and also protect yourself. A chat with the GP is a good start as a meds review may help.

There's a Factsheet about this issue and in the hope that you can get some advice from it here's a link to it https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ctsheet_dementia_and_aggressive_behaviour.pdf
I have often seen it advised to have a safe room, with a safe exit, available and keep a phone to hand in case help needs to be summoned.

This may seem like a step too far. However, I have read that it can be useful to report any physical assault to the police as they will record that and this can be useful as a paper trail if you ever seek assistance from Social Services in the future.

If you want to talk it through with anyone the experts on the help line can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday
9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
+1 from me.
This needs to be dealt with quickly and firmly.

Bod

Maya2018

Sep 20, 2018
my gran has dementia and her behaviour is starting to getvreally if track we won’t put her in a home but it’s hard to cope with the changes in her behaviour

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @rosyred
Please dont ignore this sort of behaviour - this is a huge red flag.
Get in touch with the memory clinic or Community Psychiatric Team urgently - they have access to drugs that your GP would probably not be confident with prescribing.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
You are in no way responsible for your partners aggressive behaviour - the disease is. Please seek urgent advice @rosyred. You must be feeling very vulnerable but you are not the only person who has had to face this situation. As karaokePete has said make yourself a safe room where you can dash to should things escalate.

Status
Not open for further replies.