DNR (Do not resusitate) abuse in hospital

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I have a suspicion that a significant part of CQC is tick-box, and I do wonder how many of the inspectors understand dementia.
My mother's CH told me that they would get a black mark for anyone 'just sitting' when there was an activity going on, so they felt obliged to cart along residents who could no longer enjoy them or be able to participate, and who disliked being 'carted' anywhere and wanted to be left in P and Q.

Crazy.......

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Yes, CQC decide what is the correct thing (call buttons, sitting in the garden, jug of water on bedside table, getting up everyday) and try to enforce it but completely missing that each person is a PERSON not a number on a list.

Mum was given a call button, a jug of water, told she must go to activities. She can't hold anything, press a button and spends most of her day asleep. I have had heated verbal discussions about what they decided should be done to Mum which I eventually won. All because of tick boxes.

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Yes, CQC decide what is the correct thing (call buttons, sitting in the garden, jug of water on bedside table, getting up everyday) and try to enforce it but completely missing that each person is a PERSON not a number on a list.

Mum was given a call button, a jug of water, told she must go to activities. She can't hold anything, press a button and spends most of her day asleep. I have had heated verbal discussions about what they decided should be done to Mum which I eventually won. All because of tick boxes.

The sad thing is that throughout all the services etc these tickbox exercises consume time and money, when really the one thing that is needed is more people working directly, giving hands on care. How many man/woman hours could be funded by the amount of money wasted ?
I'm not saying there shouldn't be checks and inspections, but do despair sometimes at the lack of real care as opposed to paper care.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I have a suspicion that a significant part of CQC is tick-box, and I do wonder how many of the inspectors understand dementia.
My mother's CH told me that they would get a black mark for anyone 'just sitting' when there was an activity going on, so they felt obliged to cart along residents who could no longer enjoy them or be able to participate, and who disliked being 'carted' anywhere and wanted to be left in P and Q.

you are right but actually the number of people like people with physical disabilities who can use call buttons and have them disconnected is amazingly worrying so i think it is a daft situation where 'one fits all'......which we all know doesn't work!!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Hi sleepless, I always wondered why homes gave call buttons to their inhabitants when they all suffer from dementia. OH was the same.
Do they all lack common sense or are they ticking boxes?

My mother went through a phase of believing she could talk to her (long-since dead) husband on the call button she has around her neck in the care home. She wouldn't have the strength to push it, but she would have long 'conversations' with him, so it has its uses.:D

Mind you, it could be useful in that I could use it to call staff if there was an emergency while I was there or staff can use it to alert each other. But indeed, Mum never understood how to use one even when we had one at home.

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My mother went through a phase of believing she could talk to her (long-since dead) husband on the call button she has around her neck in the care home. She wouldn't have the strength to push it, but she would have long 'conversations' with him, so it has its uses.:D

I will never forget this RaggedRobin - how wonderful to have such instant contact, such a comfort :):)

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

That is so nice, Ragged Robin.
When Dad had one of those at home, he said it was an amulet, so he was careful to put it in a safe place......we were constantly searching for it.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Trying to resuscitate an elderly patient, who is unlikely to be successfully resuscitated, is soul destroying for the staff involved, never mind the family who may have unrealistic expectations.

That's without taking dementia into consideration.

Having to make a patient physically presentable post unsuccessful resuscitation is not fun. They don't show you the reality on TV.

An increasingly elderly population means that this is an issue which should ideally be discussed shortly after admission to hospital. Some consultants broach the subject with a patient on a Monday morning ward round.