DLA medical assessment

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
Hi Glosgall,

Where are you based? I volunteer in advocacy, and I help people who have been refused, denied, or restricted to the benefits they need and are entitled to. I have seen many issues with the Atos medical assessments. You can appeal, and if you wish to, I would be happy to advise. If you happen to be based in South Wales, I or a colleague could represent you, or, if you want to PM me and tell me where you are, I could try to find an advocacy service near you.

You could wait a while and reapply, but if you appeal and win, the benefits will be dated from the original decision.

Finally, don't wait too long as I think you have to to it within a certain amount of time - a month or near enough - if you do want to request a reconsideration / appeal.

You can find more information (though not much!) and the number to phone to get the appeal form here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...rSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_10013949

We live in Gloucester . We had an Alz. society rep. with us too , and she tohught we'd get highest rate Care ........ so don't know what went wrong ?!

Sandra.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think they use deliberate tactics to payout the minimum they have to. They know what a struggle it is, you have to write it on the forms, they also advise somewhere if you appeal it could result in a loss of what's already awarded to try and scare people into accepting the first decision.

I have been on low rate both since I first applied yet my condition has worsened since my first application - I am grateful for what I am given but it is not in accordance with their own guidelines - and it is something to which I am entitled and have contributed to. I'm one of those 'tax-payers' like most people who can get chronically sick.:(

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
I think they use deliberate tactics to payout the minimum they have to. They know what a struggle it is, you have to write it on the forms, they also advise somewhere if you appeal it could result in a loss of what's already awarded to try and scare people into accepting the first decision.

I have been on low rate both since I first applied yet my condition has worsened since my first application - I am grateful for what I am given but it is not in accordance with their own guidelines - and it is something to which I am entitled and have contributed to. I'm one of those 'tax-payers' like most people who can get chronically sick.:(

It's typical we got the letter on a Saturday ! You're right, I'm sure they are trying to get away with paying out as little as possible , but we will challenge it . It's just unfair to have to do it for what is so little money in the grand scheme of things .

Sandra.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009

It's typical we got the letter on a Saturday ! You're right, I'm sure they are trying to get away with paying out as little as possible , but we will challenge it . It's just unfair to have to do it for what is so little money in the grand scheme of things .

Sandra.

I'm glad you're going to challenge it - I would have mine if it didn't overwhelm me so much. It's not so much the money, albeit an entitlement, it's getting help for this condition that is just as much a struggle too. Your friend is lucky to have you and I hope you're successful.

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
Many thanks for your advice , we will be challenging the award . It just doesn't make sense that she needs someone staying over at night to be there when she's had these terrifying hallucinations . She can see men and in soldiers uniforms going through her bedroom, giant animals coming in her bedroom window etc etc ......... really scary stuff where she's too scared to stay inn her own house, yet she's put on lowest rate care ? She has problems with ''numbers'' ........ can't tell the time, add up, can't handle money , needs a lot of help for her ''hidden'' mental health problems . It just doesn't make sense . She couldn't count backwards from 30 in her assessment , and couldn't go backwards with the days of the week from Sunday . I'm getting quite angry about it actually, the more I think about it . AGGHHHH !

Last edited by a moderator:

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
Further to my posts . We asked the DWP/ATOS to ''look again'' at my friends DLA award of lowest mobility and lowest care a few weeks ago . The Alzheimers welfare friend who works locally rang them and did an taped phone chat with them . Last week we had a letter saying my friend had now been awarded highest Care and lowest mobility. This is great news , and avoids having to go to appeal .
I've asked the local Blue badge office if she can have a blue badge , as it would make life a lot easier if friends and family could park closer to her destinations when taking her out to social things she likes going to , but they said she MUST have HIGHEST mobility DLA .No exceptions . This seems very short sighted .:mad:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I'm please the outcome was worth challenging Glogsall, and that you didn't need to go to appeal, but sorry that she was only awarded low rate mobility - it really is nonsensical. If some one needs high rate care it stands to reason that to go anywhere is a challenge to say the least and the same rate mobilty should go with it. Sadly though it doesn't seem about needs rather more about the system and what it costs. Glad you've got a better result, of sorts, though.