Disappointed

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
With the new program, I am now given 75 hours each month to help to care for Nick. I am not yet using all the hours available to me, as it is difficult to find people willing to do the work. I am not allowed to use companies, it must be individuals. Our wonderful walker/carer/nurse suggested a personal friend of his for one of the evenings I wish to go out to my classical choir. I have been waiting for a month for her to return from summer in Canada, she is a university student.
I sent her a brief job description as follows:
  • to keep Nick company in the evening. Talk to him keep him assured that I am coming home again.
  • Perhaps make him cups of tea and drinks (you need to offer him drinks as he will not ask for it)
  • Give him 9PM meds and help him to get into his PJs. Mostly it is lay them out for him and maybe help him to put his wallet and glasses by the bedside table as he is often very confused about this.
I told her it might be wise to know a little bit about Alzheimers and suggested she come to this site and read about the disease. I assume she was scared by what she read.

She was coming today to meet us and and sign her contract. I just got a sms that she does not feel qualified to handle the situation. I guess I must be glad that she decided that she is not right for the job, but now I must look for someone else to take care of him on Mondays.´ or drop out of choir.

I guess it is better that she not come if she does not feel up to it, but I am disappointed. Particularly after waiting so long. So, I am again on the search for home help. It is not all that easy as the person must speak English. Most of the people who do this kind of work do not speak English, so it adds another level of difficulty to my search.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Its a pity you are not allowed to use companies. I wonder what is the reason behind this. Company carers are often dementia trained whereas individuals are unlikely to be.

Can you question this decision @PalSal

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Its a pity you are not allowed to use companies. I wonder what is the reason behind this. Company carers are often dementia trained whereas individuals are unlikely to be.

Can you question this decision @PalSal
Hi Granny,
Unfortunately, no, it is a program here to get people working and off the social registar...or reduce the social registar. That is the program, I act as an employer and it is to help people to be working. That is where the money comes from. It is actually a good idea, and works well for many people , but I have that added problem of English language which makes finding the right person that little bit harder.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
In Devon ( and elsewhere, I think) Social Services have a register of self employed people who act as PA's, and do this kind of work, and are experienced - I wonder if there is anything similar where you are........
Alternatively, there are educational establishments on the continent where English is taught as a foreign language - maybe their students could be accessed.........

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
In Devon ( and elsewhere, I think) Social Services have a register of self employed people who act as PA's, and do this kind of work, and are experienced - I wonder if there is anything similar where you are........
Alternatively, there are educational establishments on the continent where English is taught as a foreign language - maybe their students could be accessed.........
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, I have a team at the moment, an Eritrean nurse who cannot work as a nurse yet in Switzerland (process for acceptance stuff) and a Bolivian lady I found via a friend, and our old housekeeper who comes occassionally on request and is paid not via this system but out of pocket, which is wonderful as he loves her and her little dog but she is 80 and it is not ideal for her any more. I know of some carer sites and interviews people from there before. I find friends the best source.
This was a university student who has disappointed me.....these things take time, unfortunately, taking care of someone with advanced Alzheimers is daunting to many who are just looking for simple babysitting.

cumbria35

Apr 24, 2017

cumbria35

Apr 24, 2017
Here in Kendal we have an Age UK register of people willing to come in for companionship, unfortunately they are not allowed to recommend anyone so unless you know of them previously this is of no help as you have no idea of any details e.g. age etc. until you contact them and they may be totally unsuited to your needs.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
She/he may not have been comfortable with the personal care element of the session- especially if he/she is a youngster. I wonder if you could leave outthe ''pyjamas'' bit.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
She/he may not have been comfortable with the personal care element of the session- especially if he/she is a youngster. I wonder if you could leave outthe ''pyjamas'' bit.
QJessbow Yes, I am sure you are right. But it is what I need done. So I would prefer to wait and hope to find someone who can handle it.