1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. exhausted 2015

exhausted 2015 Registered User

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hello all my dad has been taking Donepezil for two weeks if it was going to upset his bowels would this of happened with the first dose it just that yesterday and today he has been in some awful mess I'm not sure if it is the donepezil or a flare up of his diverticulitis also coincidentally he has been extremely confused any thoughts would be much appreciated xx

2. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

OH was on Donepezil for some months and had some tummy troubles. As a result he was switched over to Rivastigmine and he has been a lot better on those. He also uses patches for it which might also be helpful. He is also seems to be doing better with the AD which is a real bonus.

3. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thank you lawson58 I suppose I will just have to see how it goes if no improvement I will ask for the medication to be changed.. Thanks again truly Exhausted 2015 xx

4. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    My husband started taking this twelve years ago (and still does) -- just the first morning he had diarrhoea, then absolutely fine.
    I would suspect the diverticulitis, causing both symptoms. Is there a way of treating him for this?
    Perhaps you could discuss it with whoever prescribed the donepezil?
    It would be a pity if he was taken off a potentially helpful medication because of symptoms cause by something else.

5. Countryboy

Countryboy Registered User

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Cornwall
    I have been taking Aricept for 16 years in November never had a problem or side effect

6. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thank you both tony and sleepless had to have doctor out today to dad has diorehha was bad... Got to get a sample doc thinks it's either a flare up of his diverticulitis or c diff.. Thanks yet again all for your valuable comments xx

7. hariyaksh

hariyaksh Registered User

Aug 26, 2015
    My grandmother takes the donepezil too and it worked just fine with her. I think there might be other meds that might be reacting. The biggest drawbacks about meds is that they tend to react with each other at times and hence can cause a health scare. As for Donepezil too, while it works out perfectly well for one person, the case might be different for another. I also found a link for this med, hope it would help you: New drug may boost brain power in Alzheimer’s patients