Difficulty getting a diagnosis

carolyng

Dec 21, 2016
Hello

I think my Dad may have Alzheimer's but I am having difficulty getting the GP to take my concerns seriously. My Dad is in his mid 80s and my sister and I have been concerned about his memory for several years. The most recent example is we got together at his house for an early family Christmas recently. We made all the arrangements as my Dad was anxious and kept forgetting plans even though we wrote everything out for him. 4 days after we left Dad called me, he was anxious that some chocolates had appeared in his fridge - these were a Christmas present we had given to him but he had forgotten that we were even there.

However the GP just seems to think he has normal elderly forgetfulness and doesn't seem to have taken our concerns seriously. I have twice sent detailed descriptions of incidents similar to the one above, but she doesn't seem to do anything. I tried to arrange a lasting power of attorney. My Dad agreed and we went to the solicitor and he gave detailed instructions. However when he went back he had forgotten everything so the solicitor arranged for the power to be signed at the GPs but when we got there Dad said he hadn't seen the document before, and that he already had a power of attorney, and that the bank had a power of attorney. None of this was true. A second appointment was made but my dad cancelled it, but then turned up at the GPs with the solicitor having forgotten he had cancelled, but the GP had other patients and could not see them.

I really don't know what to do - I live some distance away and it seems that all I can do is wait for him to deteriorate further.
If anyone has any advice I would be glad to hear them

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi and welcome to TP - although I am sorry that you have need of us!

Is there only one GP at the practice your father attends? If so, it might be worth seeing someone else and discussing your concerns with them.

Another option is to write, again, to the GP and specifically ask for a referral to the Memory Services.

You could also contact the Alzheimer's support line for advice.

I'm sure others will be along with better suggestions soon!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Carolyng, welcome to TP
Get the LPA ASAP, you don't need a solicitor or a GP to do this you can do it online at the link below.
The witnesses and attorneys can be anyone, long standing friends or neighbours, former work colleague (see the link).
This can be done online and just the witness signature pages printed off and posted.
The longer this goes on the more risk that he may become too lacking in capacity to sign it at all then the whole lot goes to the court of protection which is time and money and lots of both.
Having even a referral or a diagnosis could count against him making an LPA so do it now before anyone can question it is my advice.
Getting the referral and appointments to the memory clinic, scans, test and all the rest could take 6 months or more and by then it may be too late to get an LPA.
It's a simple online procedure and witnesses that have known your dad for a while.
K

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

carolyng

Dec 21, 2016
Hi Kevinl
I went to the solicitor about the LPA because my Dad has always been a loner and even more so now - he doesn't have any friends apart from family and he doesn't seem to have much contact with anyone. I'll perhaps ask if there is anyone he knows locally. He is in any case getting quite suspicious and may not agree in any case
thank you

carolyng

Dec 21, 2016
Hi Slugsta
this GP is the one he sees and who is 'his nominated' GP. I'll try asking for a referral to the memory clinic though - I hadn't thought of that and perhaps they will be more proactive
thank you
c