Different doctors quiering diagnosis

Jan18

May 3, 2018
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. My father is 59 and has spent a good bit of time in hospital lately. He has had ct scans, MRI, dat scan, lumbar puncture and a spect scan. There are signs of brain damage in the scans and also signs of mini strokes. After spending 6 weeks in hospital he was discharged without a diagnosis of anything. At an outpatient 2 weeks ago his psychiatrist told my mum that my dad had early onset dementia. He didn't say which dementia neither did he put any sort of plan in place or give her any information. I was quite shocked at that. Fast forward to now my dad is back in hospital with psychosis. The doctors have now said that there was never a diagnosis made as different doctors were quiering it. My dad has epilepsy, medical depression and mental health issues (psychosis). Im just looking for any advice of any similar experience people have had.
Thank you in advance

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jan 18. Welcome to Talking Point.

It`s not surprising different doctors have different views about your dad`s possible dementia. Many possibilities are considered before a final diagnosis, especially when there are other medical conditions to take into account.

Once dementia is diagnosed, as the illness progresses, the symptoms might indicate which specific form of dementia any person has.

As long as the doctors keep trying to help your dad, the label or type of dementia may surface in time. I`m not sure whether or not it would help to know which specific form of dementia your dad has but I`m no medic and am not thoroughly up to date with available medication. .

I know how frustrating this can be but there are so many complications .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has epilepsy, has had a stroke and shows signs of "small vessel disease" as well as frontal lobe problems. He too has had CT scan, MRI scan, dat scan, SPEC scan and lumber puncture. He has also had neuropsychology testing and neuropsychiatrist evaluation (which concluded that he had no mental health problems, but did have anterior brain dysfunction). It has taken a long time to get a diagnosis of FTD - and even then we occasionally get a doctor who says that he thinks OH doesnt have any form of dementia at all!!