diarrhoea and Alzheimers

cathy.honey

Dec 23, 2010
Hi. Can sudden diarrhoea be a symptom of Alzheimers? My mother has had this happen twice now in 6 weeks, which seems strange. She is already urinary incontinent, I'm wondering if she is becoming double incontinent. Thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assuming no recent change in medication or diet.

Constipation is more common with dementia, has she been constipated?

Constipation can cause bypass diarrhoea where watery contents build up behind the blockage to the extent that they spill around the blockage and cause sudden diarrhoea.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My aunt used to take constipation pills and then forgot (short term memory) and than take them again, for some times, resulting in diarrhoea.

Does your PWD has her food and pills controlled by someone?

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi. My husband has been experiencing diarrhoea. It appears to be one of the side effects of Donepezil. Has had a few days free from taking the tablets and had no problems. But has just started on Rivastigmene and the diarrhoea has come back. I am wondering if it may be better to stop taking the medication in order for these symptoms to stop. He has been on Donepezil for 3 years. We found he benefitted from them at first but now his Alzheimers has progressed to the stage I don't feel they are helping any more. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on their knowledge of Rivastigmene. You generally hear more about Donepezil. Thanks

cathy.honey

Dec 23, 2010
That's interesting. Mum has been on Donepezil for 7 years and not had any side effects, but she has deteriorated recently, so maybe we need to review her medication.

Hi. My husband has been experiencing diarrhoea. It appears to be one of the side effects of Donepezil. Has had a few days free from taking the tablets and had no problems. But has just started on Rivastigmene and the diarrhoea has come back. I am wondering if it may be better to stop taking the medication in order for these symptoms to stop. He has been on Donepezil for 3 years. We found he benefitted from them at first but now his Alzheimers has progressed to the stage I don't feel they are helping any more. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on their knowledge of Rivastigmene. You generally hear more about Donepezil. Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey