Diagnosed with Alzheimers

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
I just wanted to post an update of the long road and appointments with memory clinic. I posted awhile ago now asking for information on whether my fathers symptoms seemed like dementia (I had the feeling it was) but wanted other peoples views.

My father had his CT scan at hospital a few weeks ago and we've just been to an appointment this week at the memory clinic for those results. The scan they said in looked good in terms of no tumours, no sign of strokes and good blood vessels in the brain.

They continued to ask questions on how my father has been and what I do to care for him etc. I was told whilst the scan looks ok I have to tell you that you have mild Alzheimer's which is at the early stages. I had this feeling for awhile and so did my father so we weren't surprised but I am glad we now know for sure.

The consultant that saw us has put my father on a medication called donepezil 5mg rising to 10mg after 2 weeks, I wanted to know if people have seen a huge benefit with this medication in memory? They have told me he is on it for life now but I hope it improves even just a little. I suppose it hasn't taken as long as others to get a diagnosis, probably around 6 months, I had the feeling we would be going backwards and forwards to reach this diagnosis but I'm glad we now have it at least instead of wondering is it this or is it that.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi Danny, welcome to TP.

Donepezil is a medication that slows down the development of Alzheimer's disease although some people do report an improvement in their loved one, it can cause temporary digestive problems which is why they start on the lower dose.

You will find lots of help and support here so please keep posting.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Danny84, my wife is on Donepezil and she is doing well on it, however, her memory etc., continues to deteriorate slowly. That said, she functions well on it. I have found that if she takes her pill in the morning she feels ill all day but is fine if she takes it at night. This taking it in the morning happens when she forgets that I've told her to take her pills in the evening so I now have to double check this with her.

Keep an eye on things like night terrors as my wife got those and the Consultant added Memantine and an anti anxiety med to my wife's pills ant that helped greatly.

The trouble with these pills is that they slow the progression but may seem ineffective because a deterioration can still be seen. However, I have read a case history where the pill was stopped for this reason and the person deteriorated rapidly thereafter. Discuss any concerns with the Memory Clinic or GP as there may be an alternative available.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks both for the reply

@karaokePete that is good that your wife is doing well on this, I can only hope I see some improvement also although my father is at the early stages of it and I don't know how fast it will progress.

I've been told to give it in the morning but I will see how he goes with it and if it's bad I will try at night time. I wasn't told anything about night terrors but I will certainly keep my eye open for it, doesn't sound good at all.

It's just a relief to finally know and get this diagnosis because I know some people have waited a very long time and the wondering along with worry can get on top of you at times. Thanks for the information appreciate it.

MyPoorDaddy

Jun 10, 2018
Hi @Danny84 my dad was put in Donepezil 3 years ago and my Mam called it the magic pill as it really did help give us dad back for a good year or so. I know for some it Doesnt help, but for us it was great. Over the past year we’ve seen a decline and as @karaokePete mentioned we started to have a big problem With night terrors and we were very concerned about my mum’s safety as dad was acting out his dreams and didn’t know who we were (e.g. pulled a radiator completely off the wall one night!).
He was being switched to memantine from April, but with extremely low blood pressure the GP suddenly stopped the Donepezil two months ago, and although night terrors have almost gone, his cognitive decline has been quite dramatic.
Saying all that, we were Very thankful to the Donepezil for giving us “Dad” back for a while.
Good luck, I hope it works well for you x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi @Danny84 my dad was put in Donepezil 3 years ago and my Mam called it the magic pill as it really did help give us dad back for a good year or so. I know for some it Doesnt help, but for us it was great. Over the past year we’ve seen a decline and as @karaokePete mentioned we started to have a big problem With night terrors and we were very concerned about my mum’s safety as dad was acting out his dreams and didn’t know who we were (e.g. pulled a radiator completely off the wall one night!).
He was being switched to memantine from April, but with extremely low blood pressure the GP suddenly stopped the Donepezil two months ago, and although night terrors have almost gone, his cognitive decline has been quite dramatic.
Saying all that, we were Very thankful to the Donepezil for giving us “Dad” back for a while.
Good luck, I hope it works well for you x
sweetheart, good to hear from you. My OH pulled a radiator completely off the wall, too. My goodness. I am so glad the pill worked for a while. I do so understand. Gxx

MyPoorDaddy

Jun 10, 2018
@kindred oh! Just shows how strength remains eh! Poor dad, he was just protecting Mam from some perceived attack “come here, I’ll protect you” he apparently said, before pulling the rad clean off the wall as it was “not safe”.
Luckily dad had passed on his great handy skills, so when I was last home I had to refit the radiator, fix broken taps, toilet handles, door handles, boiler etc. This Girl Can!
Hope your got your radiator fixed. @Danny84 fingers crossed the Donepezil works for you.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I just wanted to post an update of the long road and appointments with memory clinic. I posted awhile ago now asking for information on whether my fathers symptoms seemed like dementia (I had the feeling it was) but wanted other peoples views.

My father had his CT scan at hospital a few weeks ago and we've just been to an appointment this week at the memory clinic for those results. The scan they said in looked good in terms of no tumours, no sign of strokes and good blood vessels in the brain.

They continued to ask questions on how my father has been and what I do to care for him etc. I was told whilst the scan looks ok I have to tell you that you have mild Alzheimer's which is at the early stages. I had this feeling for awhile and so did my father so we weren't surprised but I am glad we now know for sure.

The consultant that saw us has put my father on a medication called donepezil 5mg rising to 10mg after 2 weeks, I wanted to know if people have seen a huge benefit with this medication in memory? They have told me he is on it for life now but I hope it improves even just a little. I suppose it hasn't taken as long as others to get a diagnosis, probably around 6 months, I had the feeling we would be going backwards and forwards to reach this diagnosis but I'm glad we now have it at least instead of wondering is it this or is it that.

Hi @Danny84 My dad has been on Donepzil since January without any problems. His memory has not improved, it has probably worsened a bit. I don't think it is possible to tell whether the Donepzil has helped him because he may or may not have got worse anyway.

I would definitely continue with it though as it must be worth a try.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
@MyPoorDaddy Well so far he hasn't experienced anything from taking it but only been on half dose for a few days now. I hope it works also, even just small improvements.

I'm sorry they had to take your dad off this medication, it sounds like it was working great for him. I wasn't told anything about night terrors though as a side effect, it sounds scary but I will keep a look out for it and tell the Dr if it happens. Thanks for the kind words.

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
@Duggies-girl Hi, nice to know your dad had no problems with this medication then. Yes that's exactly what the consultant told us, we will never know if he would be worse without taking it later on down the line than if he was taking it which is why they have said he must keep taking it unless he has bad reactions to it.

I'm just hoping he has some improvements at least, I'd rather he take it than not take anything as you say it is worth a try.

MyPoorDaddy

Jun 10, 2018
@Danny84 i think it only happens in some cases and only after prolonged use (after over 2 years use in my dad’s case) from what I’ve read. Good luck!