Depression

JPC1

Dec 10, 2014
Any ideas to combat depression linked to dementia. My Mam is on antidepressants and meantime but still has severe depression and mistrust issues. Nothing seems to make her happy.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Any ideas to combat depression linked to dementia. My Mam is on antidepressants and meantime but still has severe depression and mistrust issues. Nothing seems to make her happy.

Am so, so sorry JPCI. An awful time for you. It is early days. Am sure her Doctor is trying to treat her depression. In my experience it is on a trial and error basis. Give your Mum time to settle in. I don't like saying this but maybe shorten your visits for a while. Talk about it with the staff. I hope you have good friends and also hope the staff are supportive of you. It is only in the past two weeks, I realised how crucial this is for carers. When you are not with her, she may be content. Sometimes it is the closest people that the person with dementia will show all their feelings. My OH is charming to others!! Not to me. It is not his fault.

Feel free to PM me if I can be any help.

Lots of love,

Aisling

CB100

Jan 19, 2013
So sorry

Hi

My mother also suffers from depression and is on anti depressants, memantine and donepezil. The anti depressants don't seem to touch the sides!

Not sure if it is helpful or if you have a similar service in your area but we went to see her psychiatrist and after much discussion and her refusing to try out the dementia day club she agreed to attend the anxiety and depression day club. She goes for one day each week and although I am advised that she is refusing any one to one support she does participate in the activities. I think she just sees it as a trip out and that is helpful in its own way but I believe it is really helpful to some of the other people that attend.

It might be worth exploring through your MHT to see if your area has something similar.

Good luck.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Keep with meds, whether gp , consultants or meds co-ordinator . The slightest change in some can make a difference , my dad take ps loads per day as diabetic too.
It keeps changing , keep asking , forming , making changes if you can . Everyone is different X