Dental issues

Dr.Pepper

Oct 7, 2023
So, my dad recently had one of his front teeth fall out. He's not seen a dentist in some years and he's also taken his dentures out occasionally and points at his lower front teeth sometimes, so I think it's overdue that he have a dental checkup.

The issue is that he won't co-operate with this. A month of so ago he had a visit from a GP, and refused to let them take his blood pressure or take his shirt off so they could listen to his chest. I attempted to take him to a dentist appointment today but he was too anxious and I couldn't get him more than a couple paces from the car.

So I'm not sure what to do. Is there some kind of speciality dentist service for cases such as this?

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
So, my dad recently had one of his front teeth fall out. He's not seen a dentist in some years and he's also taken his dentures out occasionally and points at his lower front teeth sometimes, so I think it's overdue that he have a dental checkup.

The issue is that he won't co-operate with this. A month of so ago he had a visit from a GP, and refused to let them take his blood pressure or take his shirt off so they could listen to his chest. I attempted to take him to a dentist appointment today but he was too anxious and I couldn't get him more than a couple paces from the car.

So I'm not sure what to do. Is there some kind of speciality dentist service for cases such as this?
Hi @Dr.Pepper :)

Yep definitely been there and you have my sympathies!

Fortunately our community team was able to sort a dental referral to a clinician (who visited with a nurse), it was an older lady who mum was able to easily relate to. I had requested the need for the person to be a female - preferably more mature; her communication skills were excellent and mum did not feel patronised in any way, she wasn't talked over and followed instructions. The dentist's easy manner as she conducted her examination (always talking) made the experience an overall positive one, she even gave mum a filling!

I don't know how things are set up down your end but I would start by seeking advice from your local team to see if they can signpost a service that might help. Hope this is useful.