Denial?

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bel
As you know I am just at the beginning of all this. I sense your pain so strongly as I read your posting. I am a very practical person, and keep thinking if it was me, I would not want this to drag on years and years, I'd rather it was quicker, especially as there is no chance of cure right now. It is so hard to have such a poor quality of life.... for me right now I don't want him to live 20 years if it's going to be that awful, I can't imagine how much it would drain one's spirits, seeing a loved one suffering so.

Hope your weekend is a good one. Enjoy the small things in life, and lean on your friends and family.

How old are you and your husband?

Anne

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
For the first 6 months or so after diagnosis, I kept hoping it was a misdiagnosis, and that my mother actually had schizophrenia - because that's treatable & not fatal. I was clutching at straws but that was 6 years.

Denial is normal, I think, as long as it doesn't go on forever.

Joanne

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Margarita said:
I would not agree with that as in not fatal , even thought I to thought my mother had that

I think that maybe what Lila means is that schizophrenia itself isn't fatal. However, sadly some people with schizophrenia do take their own lifes, and occasionally those of other people. I would think that happens more often when the medication isn't taken.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I don't know what I meant but I'm sure I didn't say anything about schizophrenia