dementia with aggression

joy76

Mar 10, 2024
Hello, my mum is looking after her partner who has been diagnosed with mild small vessel ischaemic disease SVD, but at last once per week he has strangled her. He was never violent before. They are awaiting a formal diagnosis from GP, though they have been to a memory clinic. What's people's experience/advice in this situation with they start being aggressive?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello, my mum is looking after her partner who has been diagnosed with mild small vessel ischaemic disease SVD, but at last once per week he has strangled her. He was never violent before. They are awaiting a formal diagnosis from GP, though they have been to a memory clinic. What's people's experience/advice in this situation with they start being aggressive?
if its sudden, it maybe a water infection which can knock people off their feet. if not, maybe talk to the memory clinic or the gp so at least you can show whats happening.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @joy76 if your mum's partner is getting aggressive and she recognises the sign then she should take herself into another room or outside where she is safe. She needs to have her mobile phone accessible and phone the police if she feels at risk. Apparently the police are trained to deal with these situations and it could lead to help that it sounds like they both need.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As has been said a urinary tract infection (UTI) is often cited as a cause, other infections chest or whatever don't help either.
That said, zero tolerance to violence, please put mum first and do what you think is right. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Tell the GP what is going on - they should be able to get a referral to the Community Psychiatric Team for medication to help the aggression, even though he does not have a formal diagnosis yet.

Also follow the advice from maggie about phoning 999 for the police when your dad kicks off. If sectioning is suggested, please dont fight it - it will allow your dad to get the treatment he needs in a safe environment.

joy76

Mar 10, 2024
Tell the GP what is going on - they should be able to get a referral to the Community Psychiatric Team for medication to help the aggression, even though he does not have a formal diagnosis yet.

Also follow the advice from maggie about phoning 999 for the police when your dad kicks off. If sectioning is suggested, please dont fight it - it will allow your dad to get the treatment he needs in a safe environment.
Thank you i will let my mum know, that's really helpful.

joy76

Mar 10, 2024

Thank you I will pass the info on to my mum .