Dementia Support Worker

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
hi everyone,
I’m meeting my D Support Worker next week & I was wondering what to expect.
I’m not worried I just like to know what to expect so that I can make the most of her visit. I’ve made a note of a few things I want to ask & I know she said we would chat about a few things but I can’t remember what :)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @PJ. We were visited by a person called a Dementia Navigator after my wife's diagnosis. It may be the same sort of thing.
We were given details of our local support network in the form of leaflets containing contact details etc., along with general advice about the benefits system and info about levels of care in the home etc., that may be needed in the future. It was a useful meeting. I recall in particular how reassured I was about the level of support that could be available for care in the home as my biggest fear after diagnosis was that I would lose my wife to a care home. It certainly helped to alleviate that grief response that is felt post diagnosis when you feel most alone in a world of uncertainty.
Make sure to have your husband or a friend/family member there as there may be a lot of detail and you may not be able to take it all in or remember it so two heads are better than one. I also found a pen and paper very useful.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hello @PJ. We were visited by a person called a Dementia Navigator after my wife's diagnosis. It may be the same sort of thing.
We were given details of our local support network in the form of leaflets containing contact details etc., along with general advice about the benefits system and info about levels of care in the home etc., that may be needed in the future. It was a useful meeting. I recall in particular how reassured I was about the level of support that could be available for care in the home as my biggest fear after diagnosis was that I would lose my wife to a care home. It certainly helped to alleviate that grief response that is felt post diagnosis when you feel most alone in a world of uncertainty.
Make sure to have your husband or a friend/family member there as there may be a lot of detail and you may not be able to take it all in or remember it so two heads are better than one. I also found a pen and paper very useful.
Hi Pete thank you for your reply yes my husband is booking more time off of Work to be at the meeting, it’s odd yours was called a D navigator? Maybe different areas have different names for them.
I do hope life is good god you both :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels