Dementia? In the community

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Think this forum is the right place to ask

I'm on holiday in Bournemouth, been here 2 days. Really hot weather

Sitting in the bus stop opposite our hotel for the last 2 days and nights is a lady who has a suitcase. She has not moved from that seat. As far as I am aware, she has not had food or drink, or moved to relieve herself.

I spoke to hotel receptionist who said the lady has a home in the town, but has been regularly sitting at the bus stop waiting for her husband to pick her up, her husband who died recently. Apparently she gets agitated if anyone tries to help...

This situation is really concerning me, if this lady was a family member, I would want to know what was happening to her, or that "someone here to help" was helping....

I want to contact someone.... who??

Or do I just "accept" there is nothing I can do...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello 2jays

Could you contact Social Services or perhaps AgeUK, just for advice? The lady can`t be allowed to sit there forever, without food or drink, in this weather.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Could you contact Social Services or perhaps AgeUK, just for advice?

I've got just found those numbers, and the local police , I think I shall ring the police. I'm guessing she is well known... but even so I feel she shouldn't "just be left until crisis" which I suspect is happening

This situation is affecting me quite strongly.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think you are right 2jays, I would opt for the police. They will have the resources to help the lady and the authority to do so. When my mother was trying to find a lift to her old home in Cardiff, it was the police who were contacted and who dealt with the situation.
This poor lady sound so very sad. I hope she can be helped by the police and that you can then go on to enjoy your holiday, at least secure in the knowledge that she is safe - if not happy. x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I've telephoned the local police

Left a message on their answerphone, as the office is not open until 7am. Didn't think I should phone 999.

I understand that I will get a call when the office opens.

Feel better in my self that I've "done something" I think.... but this lady will be on my mind from now on....

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Seeing as it's gone 7 am now and your local police station should be open, has anything been done about this lady?

If not, is it worth trying to phone the local social services department? Or if the hotel receptionist knows who this lady is, does she have any friends or relatives who can look after her?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
No news as yet. I'm guessing, if this lady is "known" it's not going to be priority

Shall ring ageuk and social services at 10 when they are open

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, 2Jays, how heartbreaking! Imagine if it was any of our mums! To just leave her there, and not even bring her a drink of water?! Well done you.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Went to breakfast
When we got back to room she was gone

Spoke to receptionist. Lady is a well known figure who refuses any kind of help, sometimes aggressively....

Not heard back from police. I guess they have more important things to do than looking after a vulnerable person [sarcastic comment]

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I'm glad you were able to take some action. I would have been worried too. The police will have had to log your call, so when the crisis does arrive, there will be past evidence of her failing.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.x.