Dementia in Parkinson's

misspositive

Jul 16, 2013
My mum is 65 and has had Parkinson's for 15 yrs and for the last year has been diagnosed with early onset dementia. The Parkinson's seems relatively well controlled however the dementia is now causing behavioural problems mum lashing out, trying to hit whoever is doing her care and very abusive. We are lucky enough to have mum in her own home and have 24/7 care between me and my family and get help through some carers but mum cannot be left fr one minute due to her putting herself in danger to list them there would be too many.

I find it hard that for a long while now I have not had my mum who was my shopping buddy etc etc she is just a shell it is one of the cruellest things to witness anyone's loved one experiencing this dreadful disease.

I am new to this forum but feel by reading some of the things on here that I am not alone.

The scary part for me that I think about is where will it all end and we are currently trying to get funding to keep mum in her own home but social services will only pay so much direct payment towards mum having 24/7 care even though she CANNOT be left.

Thank you for listening.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband suffered from LBD (Lewy Body Disease) which is a mixture of dementia and Parkinson's disease. Lewy body disease is diagnosed when the dementia causes more problems than the Parkinson's.. He was aged 58 and well into the disease by the time he was diagnosed. He died eleven years later.

I can fully sympathise with your feelings about how this dreadful disease has affected your life and changed your mum so drastically. I struggled along for many years caring at home for my husband but the hallucinations, obsessive, compulsive behaviour and difficulties such as you mention became too difficult for me alone and he spent the last few years of his life in a care home.

I hope that you will get as much help as you can possibly get, both from family and the local authority as I know how hard it is to cope with caring for this disease.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

zeeeb

My mum has both alzheimers and parkinsons too (she's 59 this weekend). She is in early stages in both. I Can't seem to tell which is progressing quicker, but at a guess I'd say the alzheimers. Medications don't seem to be stopping her tremors, but they are stablising her alzheimers somewhat. It's overwhelming to have to deal with 2 big ones like this to say the least.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Most consultants recommend Rivastigmine instead of the usual Alzheimer medication when dealing with Parkinsons and dementia . Whatever you do DO NOT allow any doctor to prescribe Haloperidal to calm them down. It is an extremely dangerous drug for people suffering from Parkinsons with dementia or LBD sufferers.

xxTinaT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023