Dementia Flashbacks

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Flashbacks

""You see, sometimes, it's the flashbacks that cause the most trouble"

Last night the night terrors and hallucinations came thick and fast, all night, never letting up. Some were the most graphic I have had in a long time, no rhyme, no reason, no traumatic event that caused them, Just the pure evil that comes along with dementia. The tiredness that you feel in the morning is sometimes overwhelmed with "The Fear".

" IT IS SUCH A CRUEL DISEASE"

What i mean by that is the feeling of dread and anticipation that something really bad is going to happen, it runs through your body like cold ice and has you on edge most of the day, then suddenly "WHAM" there is a flashback !! A scene from last nights terrors that flash in front of your eyes and appears with no warning, its like your there all over again but this time during the day, you jump, shout, scream, it doesn't matter where you are, indoors, outdoors, in a cafe, it matters not but its oh so very real, and when the terrors/ hallucinations you have are so graphic its like its happening in real time.

Those that don't understand (And its not their fault as it's all about education ) look over, shake their heads, tut or even worse shout something deroggative at you (yes its happened)n which doesn't help you when your in such a state of confusion, but as I say its all about educating others. this disease is so complex, affect so many pepole in so many ways its no wonder they ate struggling to find a cure.

But in the meantime, if people KEEP ON Talking to each other, explaining what it's like for each individual person they know with this terrible disease and educating each other that way at least more will understand and be prepared, and after all?

It's FREE TO TALK

Norrms (diagnosed with dementia myself )

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I hope you have friends and family to support you.
I read your post with interest, I’m sorry it’s taken me a while to respond, I have to wait for the opportunity.
I care for my OH with Alzheimers. Your post has helped me to understand the moods and emotions. Some days he seems ok then others he is confused and bewildered. It’s hard for me to understand what causes this and maybe wonder if it’s something I have done or not done. Following your post I think instead of looking for logical reasons I just need to reassure and support. (I do know there is no logic!)
I hope you have more good days than bad.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Norrms sending big big hugs to you ,how horrendous and frighting this disease is.I wish more people could understand this illness isn't just about memory loss but so so much more xx