dementia due to complex ptsd at age 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
am so dull to be around because I cant express myself anymore.

You certainly seem to be able to here, I amnot convnced you have dementia- you have far too much insight. For example - you might well use a dictionary- but a PWD wouldn't know the word to look up.From readingthe first part of your website, you appear to have some kind of mental health issue, butI really dont think its dementia

cofiking1988

Nov 25, 2022
am so dull to be around because I cant express myself anymore.

You certainly seem to be able to here, I amnot convnced you have dementia- you have far too much insight. For example - you might well use a dictionary- but a PWD wouldn't know the word to look up.From readingthe first part of your website, you appear to have some kind of mental health issue, butI really dont think its dementia
not yet but if this continues it will be.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Your story doesn't make sense and I am concerned for your own welfare and wellbeing -do you need to get help to support you or do you need to call a local crisis line? I am concerned by your answers and the fact you mention PTSD
i agree with @Palerider here and think these forums are not really the place for your specific concerns.

Interestingly @Jessbow, please do not dismiss those of us with diagnosed Alzheimers as lacking insight. My scans were absolutely diagnostic - and I have insight but then again I have never been a typical anything! ?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
i agree with @Palerider here and think these forums are not really the place for your specific concerns.

Interestingly @Jessbow, please do not dismiss those of us with diagnosed Alzheimers as lacking insight. My scans were absolutely diagnostic - and I have insight but then again I have never been a typical anything! ?
no intention to offend, sorry.

Typially many have no insight, and appear in denial of anything being wrong- so total opposite of what cofiking appears to be

Last edited:

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
@Jessbow , I think lack of insight into dementia affects older people who may be diagnosed in their 70s onwards. (I am generalising here before anyone accuses me of ageism! ?) Younger folk are probably better able to understand what is wrong with them, however distressing it may be.
@cofiking1988 , may I suggest you approach your GP and ask to be referred for an MRI scan, if you haven’t already done so. The scan will show any areas of the brain which have shrunk in ways which may indicate various types of dementia, depending on where in the brain the shrinkage has occurred. This may not be definitive, but should be an indication of the problems you may be facing and you should then be able to access help.

cofiking1988

Nov 25, 2022
On a completely different note - who diagnosed your PTSD @cofiking1988 ?
And did they suggest any treatment?
my old psychiatrist , but his diagnosis was incomplete as he didn't say I had complex trauma. There are very little experts on the subject in my country and I lived for years without proper diagnosis. And even in the complex trauma realm people couldn't relate completely with the level of my cognitive decline but they did have some very similar symptoms non the less.

cofiking1988

Nov 25, 2022
@Jessbow , I think lack of insight into dementia affects older people who may be diagnosed in their 70s onwards. (I am generalising here before anyone accuses me of ageism! ?) Younger folk are probably better able to understand what is wrong with them, however distressing it may be.
@cofiking1988 , may I suggest you approach your GP and ask to be referred for an MRI scan, if you haven’t already done so. The scan will show any areas of the brain which have shrunk in ways which may indicate various types of dementia, depending on where in the brain the shrinkage has occurred. This may not be definitive, but should be an indication of the problems you may be facing and you should then be able to access help.
i did an mri and some experts didn't see anything, except one who noticed I had some minor front cortical reduction. I also did my total tau protein from plasma and csf. My plasma result is in the upper limit and is a lot higher than my friends and family even though they are older than me. I don't know what other test I can try except pet scan but we don't have the machine in my country. So I will probably do that to in some other time.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
There are cases of childhood dementia with a great variety of types. Most of the conditions appear to have a genetic component but I think diagnosing it is quite difficult. These young people tend to die without reaching your age.

I would be inclined to think that you have become so anxious about this issue that the anxiety could be causing you many problems. If you have been had an incomplete diagnosis then I think you need to reconnect with the psychiatrist.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This Thread is now closed. It is felt the discussion has run its course.

Thanks to all contributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.