1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Dementia Awareness Week in Scotland

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by EmJ, Jun 1, 2008.

1. EmJ

EmJ Registered User

Sep 26, 2007
    Scotland
    Just a reminder that it is Dementia Awareness Week in Scotland.

I looked at the Alzheimer Scotland website and they have their DAW conference tomorrow. They are going to be presenting their research study on the quality of services for people with dementia and their carers in Scotland. It is based on a survey they sent to members.

I am quite interested to know what the findings are..

EmJ:)

2. EmJ

EmJ Registered User

Sep 26, 2007
    Scotland
  3. jools_cares

jools_cares Registered User

Jun 5, 2008
    Lowestoft Suffolk
    Demmentia question

:) Hello i have just joined i am a carer in lowestoft just started a dementia level 2 course and have a question i would possibly like the answer to or help with heres the question What are the benefits of seeing dementia as a disability? this is a puzzling one to me it may sound silly but i havant thought of it like that before

4. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi jools, welcome to TP.

I hadn't though of it like that either, but it does make sanse in a way.

I suspect it's leading into the subject of person-centred care. If you see a person with dementia as a normal person, who has had the misfortune to develop an incurable disease, I guess you're more likely to see him/her as a whole person, rather than letting the disease become the person.

If you see the normal person, you are more likely to find ways to relate to him/her.

It's something that comes naturally to people caring at home, because we knew the person before the illness. But for someone going into care, the illness is what the carer sees first.

Just my ideas!