1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Is there any kind of link between dementia and epilepsy ie could epilepsy occur because of changes in the brain caused by dementia?

I ask because my mum has dementia of indeterminate origin - depending on who you talk to it's Alzheimers, Vascular or Lewy Bodies. She also has Parkinson's disease and an under active thyroid plus I have suspicions that she may be on her way to type 2 diabetes. At some time during the last year Epilim appeared on her list of medications although no one can remember exactly who prescribed it, when and why! I have vague recollections of getting a call from her former 'care' home last year to say she had had some kind of seizure/fit. This will sound awful but I took it with a pinch of salt because the description was so vague and she seemed OK afterwards with no further incidence for quite some time. I was so complacent about it that getting Epilim taken off her prescription was on my extremely long list of things to do. Until today that is! I got a call this morning from her nursing home to say she had had a seizure this morning. They said it was only 'about 2 minutes' which, thinking about it, is quite a long time. She was also OK afterwards and seemed OK when I saw her tonight.

I am now wondering if the epilepsy is a 'side effect' of the dementia or even if it is epilepsy at all. There are other causes of fits and I am reasonably sure that in a younger, fitter person further investigations would be carried out.

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

2. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Hi Noel, so sorry to read of your situation. No answers,this is outside of my experiences, but wanted to assure you that someone will have some thoughts soon.

Take care now, Connie

3. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Thanks Connie

4. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #4 Margarita, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
    Any fits (Now its called seizure )are epilepsy if recurrent My 19 year old daughter has Partial epilepsy .

If she does not take her medication, I think it’s the right side of the brain the memories would be lost , when told that all I could think of was OMG she get AD when older

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/leaflets/seizures.cfm#describe.

Any brain damage can course seizure , & if you think what happen to the brain of a person with AD ,it could be a Side effect

5. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Hi Margarita

I don't agree that any fits are epilepsy. My teenage son had a seizure last year whilst on holiday in Bulgaria - long story that I won't bore you with! He does not have epilepsy, he was hypoglycaemic (he has type 1 aka insulin dependent diabetes).

6. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    I do think you may be right there, Margarita, which is more or less the question I was asking.

As I said in my previous post, when my son had his seizure he was hypoglycaemic. Severe hypoglycaemia affects the brain, it does not, however, make the individual epileptic.

7. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Sorry should of put if recurrent , look at that link i left

8. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    are you talking about diabetes when they go low on insulin?

did you son have a brain Scan ?

9. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    #9 noelphobic, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
    Hi Margarita

Apologies!!!

You did say if recurrent. I just didn't read everything. The link you left looks extemely useful and informative so thanks for that.

10. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    No, hypoglycaemia means low blood sugar. If someone is 'low on insulin' then their blood sugar is likely to be high - hyperglycaemia. Or do you mean that the insulin makes their blood sugar go low?

Insulin lowers blood sugar

Food raises blood sugar

There is a lot more to it than that, obvously!

He didn't have a brain scan as there was no need, they just needed to bring his blood sugar up to within a normal range.

11. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Its just that my daughter had a friend that when she did not eat right ,(she was diabetic) she use to have fits & someone ales at my work.

my daughter use to give her coke or something sweet & she would come out of it after a while .

Is that hypoglycaemia ?

12. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    I use to think that they where epileptic as wil as diabetic

Thanks for clearing that up

13. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    Hi Margarita

Yes, that does sound like hypoglycaemia. If someone has diabetes and has insulin then, ideally, they need to eat healthily and they need to eat regularly. If they take their insulin and then don't eat then they are in trouble. Their blood sugar can drop dangerously low and, worse case scenario, they can die or suffer brain damage if they are not helped. The ideal 'cure' is Lucozade, failing that then Coke (not diet) or another sweet drink.

Apologies for this not being directly dementia related but this advice could save someones life one day. That someone could be my beloved son!

14. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Lucozade yes that it , I use to get that for my mother sister who was diabetes insulin ,But never took them & never saw have a fit .

My mum has diabetes ,but tablets . It’s a worry, it must be for you with your son like me with my daughter & on top of it we have are parents with AD.

How old is your son ?

15. noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    My son is 17, he was diagnosed with diabetes just under 2 years ago while he was sitting his GCSE exams. He will soon be taking his A Levels.

16. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Gosh my daughter was at university (spelling) year half ago & on holiday with me in Gibraltar when she had her fit, I did wonder if it was the stress of mum, me living in Gibraltar while sorting how to bring mum home to England, she was having black out, but did not know what was going on until she had the big fit in front of me in Gibraltar ,anyway she got her degree & now she going to do her Master .

wishing him all the best & let us know how he got on with the A levels
    :)

17. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    when i said
    I should of said she is 21 :eek: I do have a 19 year old daughter as will :)