Dementia and employment

Smirf85

Mar 9, 2014
Hi, only joined this site today so this issue may have been raised before but just wanted to know if any of you have any tips for this situation. I am obviously rambling so will get to the point.

My OH has Alzheimer's he is 62 and still works in a supermarket. We have formally advised them and they want to see us. I am assuming they will want to discuss next steps which again am assuming will be to see occ health and assess need.

I have been advised by my local AS that they must provide support in the workplace and from my own research it appears this could extend to a buddy etc.

Have any of you been there, done that and could give some advice or support on what to expect and how this process works. Thanks

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Some employers will use the Capability clause if they want you to go but if you're diagnosed with dementia you should have protection under DDA Disability Discrimination Act 1995

Dismissal on grounds of lack of capability
Lack of Capability Due to Poor Performance
Lack of Capability Due to Long-Term-Ill Health
LACK OF CAPABILITY DUE TO FREQUENT, PERSISTENT AND SHORT TERM ABSENCES

however shouldn't be a problem IF you want to work

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I Continued working for 8 Years after my diagnoses of dementia I was employed by Local Government so it was a long hard battle which possibly went on for 7½ years the last 6 months I was on gardening leave obviously I had the support of the 1995 DDA act so had to follow all the Government procedures , meetings were held every month to six weeks for first 12 months , those present at these meetings were myself , my daughter my Occupational Therapist (sometimes two) Human Resources , Two of my Managers , Representative from Unison , Social Services Representative and a close work College , and sometimes these meetings became a bit heated, possibly it would have been a lot easier for me to take early retirement , but being at home on benefits would have meant changing my life style obviously because of a reduction in finances something I didn’t want to do . basically it’s a personal choice if you want it fight for it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77