Dementia advert on TV

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
But you DO have dementia WJG. Alzheimer's disease is one of the group of conditions that fall under the dementia umbrella.
No - dementia is defined as lacking independence. I have Alzheimer's to a relatively mild degree.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
If you Google is Alzheimer's the same as dementia you'll find the answer. Even the NHS website states Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
If you Google is Alzheimer's the same as dementia you'll find the answer. Even the NHS website states Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia.
alzheimers is a type of dementia. you may have it in the early stages as it comes in different degrees.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Having a diagnoses of dementia doesn’t mean your brain doesn’t functioning doesn’t mean you can no longer make your own decisions it just means your brain its miss firing now and again ;);)

unlike when you actually become Senile also known as Senile dementia is the mental deterioration (loss of intellectual ability) that is associated with or the characteristics of old age.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease @WJG. It is the most common form of a group of conditions classified by the term Dementia. It is not necessarily characterised by lack of independence but, being a progressive illness, may lead to that in the mid to late stages. But as @Countryboy, @Arthur ASCII and you yourself have shown, people who have a diagnosis of one or more of these diseases can differ widely in how this affects their daily living and independence of thought and deed. I hope that this helps.

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies on this thread. We just wanted to remind everyone to please keep discussions relevant and on-topic, and to remember that everyone is coming to the discussion with their own experiences. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Dementia Talking Point Team

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch